A Soundproofed basement

Old 09-02-04, 08:19 PM
AngelGirl
Visiting Guest
A Soundproofed basement

My family is (finally) finishing the unfinished half of our basement for my bedroom. The basement bedroom is directly undre the master bedroom and as is when you are downstairs you canhear everything that goes on upstairs and can hear down from up. What is the the best way to soundproof the celing so that my wonderful parents won't be woken up when I have friends over and I won't be woken up when they get up at the crack of dawn? Any and all help would be welcome.

~Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 09-03-04, 04:06 AM
bimmer
Visiting Guest
The thicker the walls the better. For your cieling and walls, after you frame them, be sure to insulate them. Although insulation is not the best sound barrier, be sure to add 2 layers of 5/8 drywall. The more rock you have, the better barrier it is. That is the cheapest way of doing it. You coudl always spend alot of money on soundproofing vynil but imo, its not worth it.

Old 09-03-04, 06:21 AM
MagusOfAtlan
Visiting Guest
For unreal sound protection:

1. Put in insulation up between the floor joists.
2. Attach soundboard such as from Homasote (company name) to the joists (or to 2x4's run perpendicular to the joists attached to the joists). Costs about $18 per 4x8 sheet.
3. Attach 5/8" drywall to the Homasote (screw through it into the joists/2x4's).
4. Cover the drywall with adhesive sound-absorbing panels.

You could use Resilient Channel to attach drywall to as an option rather than 2x4's.

I used steps #1, 2 and 3 on my ceiling in the basement and it works great for sound dampening.