attic storage area ventilation

Old 09-18-04, 08:31 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
attic storage area ventilation

I am just finishing an enclosed storage area in my garage attic and I'm trying to figure out what the best ventilation would be a powered roof vent or attic fan. The enclosed area is 16'x9'. There is not an opening in the gable in the garage, so if I went with the gable vent, could I use one of the soffit vents? I am hesitant to put a hole in the roof if I don't have to, plus it'll be visible from the street and there's enough junk on the roof already. Is there a better option that I'm not considering?

Sponsored Links
Old 09-19-04, 03:20 PM
Attic ventilation

You can find helpful attic ventilation info on this website at http://doityourself.com/attic/properventilation.htm

Another concern is that your truss system can support the weight of what you want to store in your attic. Most truss systems today are not designed to support weight. The only way to know is to consult with your Building Inspector and/or a building engineer. Today structural changes in homes require the involvement of the local Building Inspector, inspections, and permits.

Old 09-19-04, 03:27 PM
Wink

Hey if you have gables go for it with gable vents on each end high as you can go. For the attic vent you need 1 sq ft for every 150 sq ft of attic 1/2 in and 1/2 out. Put some vents in the overhang there.

ED