Furring Strips or build a wall

Old 09-26-04, 08:18 AM
jawhit2
Visiting Guest
Furring Strips or build a wall

I am looking to finish a walkout basement in my townhouse (a little over a year old). Does anyone have advice on what I should use to finish the concrete walls? The exterior wall is obviously already studed and insulated, I think it is ready for drywall.

But the other three walls are all concrete, should I be looking at furring strips and directly attach them to the wall (without a bottom plate), or would it be better to frame the wall and fasten the bottom plate to the concrete floor and toenail the top plate to the ceiling?? I still need to worry about putting in electrical outlets, so I was thinking building the wall and then putting in the conduit, but if I did furring strips I guess I would have to put the outlets in first and then furr the walls.

Any expertise in this matter would be GREATLY appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-26-04, 03:43 PM
Group Moderator
Upvotes Received: 140
I would build a real 2x4 wall if you can stand loosing the space. The wall depth will make it easy to install your electrical boxes & wiring. You also have room for insulation. Make sure you use treated lumber anywhere wood will touch masonry.

If you are trying to save every inch of space you could go with furring strips. I have seen special shallow depth electrical boxes. They are shallow so you don't have much room for your wires.

Old 09-26-04, 06:28 PM
prostreet_pete
Visiting Guest
I have a similar question, as I want to use furring strips & drywall. Is it suggested to use pressure treated wood everywhere, since the strips are attached to the walls? What about a 1" insulation between the strips and the wall, then 2" foam between the strips? Would that work and alleviate the need for pressure treated strips? I'm very tight for space and want to maximize the open areas. Thanks!

Old 09-27-04, 03:49 AM
Group Moderator
Upvotes Received: 140
Use pressure treated lumber anywhere it will touch masonry. If you put a layer of foam between the wood and cement blocks you probably would not need treated wood.

When you sheet rock make sure you do not let it touch masonry either. The biggest area to watch is at the bottom. Lay a scrap of 1" (actually 3/4") thick lumber on the floor and let your sheet rock rest on that while you nail it up. After nailing pull out the scrap of wood and your sheetrock has a nice 3/4" air gap between it and the concrete.