Nailing frame into concrete?

Old 10-02-04, 12:41 PM
bubbette
Visiting Guest
Nailing frame into concrete?

Hi:

We are in the planning stages for fininishing our basement. Have been lurking and learning from this forum, VERY informative! Have read many posts about nailing P/T wood into concrete at the bottom of the frame. Heres my question: what type of tools are needed to accomplish this? I somehow don't think a plain hammer will do the trick. Will holes need to be drilled first, or is there some power tool that can be used?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-02-04, 02:10 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Powder Actuated Tool (PAT) is what you want. It fires a .22 round (like from a .22 rifle) to force the specific fastener into the concrete. I haven't priced one in quite awhile but IIRC the least expensive is still under $100, or I'm sure you could rent one. Then you buy the specific load and pin (nail) for your application. You'll need to let the area vent for some time after firing it. Whenever I'm doing an "inside" job I try to set it up do I can do them all just before I go to lunch, or last thing in the day.

Frank

Old 10-02-04, 08:33 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Powder actuared is the quickest, however, you can also use "Tapcons", which are a screw designed for attaching into concrete, and a box comes with its own masonry bit. So all you would need is a drill motor.

Old 10-04-04, 09:17 AM
logan00
Visiting Guest
I am not sure of the name, but it is similar to the (PAT), but at a more reduced price. It uses the .22 caliber and shoots the nail right into the floor. Her is a link to Home Depot for the tool, $19.99 and works just fine. You load the nail in one end, add the .22 calibur and hit the top of the tool, the nail is "shot" into the floor.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Last edited by twelvepole; 10-31-04 at 07:33 AM. Reason: link to commercial website