Attic Floor - used 4x8 sheets

Old 10-12-04, 11:15 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Attic Floor - used 4x8 sheets

I'm going to have to replace my masonite siding with something similar soon. As a result, I will have lots and lots of 4x8 sheets of used masonite. Some of them aren't in real bad shape, especially on one side. I was thinking about using some of these in my attic to make a floor. I've been in my attic maybe 5-10 times to repair stuff or pull wires, and its always really hot in the summer. Crawling accross on the joists (too short to stand) is NOT fun in the heat. If there was a floor there it would be much easier, and I would get less insulation on myself.

The joists are 2x6(maybe 8) and have blown insulation between them. I'm not sure how far apart they are. I'm guessing that I lose alot of heating/cooling energy through the ceiling, especially in the summer.

Can I just screw the 4x8 masonite to the joists to make a floor? Would this make for better insulation for my house below? Any kind of vapor concerns that I would not be thinking of? I would probably use very few screws, so I could remove it in case I needed to do any wiring.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 10-12-04, 11:41 AM
Wink

If you can get the 4X8's up there do it. Just put them down .Dont put a V/B are anything else just let it as it is and screw them down some.

Masonite siding was so bad down here code said you cant use it at all outside anymore.

ED

Old 10-12-04, 12:35 PM
Thank Ed. I'll probably cut them into 2'x8' strips to get them in there.

Any comments on whether it would be better or worse for the insulation efficiency?

Old 10-23-04, 06:44 AM
It probably won't matter much. if you want to improve efficeincy I would replace the blown in stuff with rolled in insulation. It seems the blown in stuff compresses/settles easily and looses it's R value over time. I've also seen people insulate the underside of the roof decking with styrofoam panels to help with summer heat gain.