roof beam supports

Old 10-12-04, 01:00 PM
omegauk
Visiting Guest
Post roof beam supports

Hello, can anyone advice me of what joists I can remove from my attic so that I can make it into a play room.

Thanks
Dave

Sponsored Links
Old 10-12-04, 08:37 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Give us a clue, what do you have?

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Last edited by twelvepole; 10-17-04 at 12:40 PM. Reason: Posted address to another DIY website
Old 10-17-04, 12:21 PM
Wink

Need lots more info info here. I think you mean rafter's no you cant.

ED

Old 10-17-04, 01:15 PM
Attic conversion

Before you start any conversions, check with your local building department to make sure your plans conform to code and that the area is suitable for conversion. Codes may have headroom requirement there might be restrictions prohibiting its use as a living area. Most building codes require at least 90 inches of clear height over half the proposed floor space. Or you may need to add a dormer for extra space or required window area for required light and ventilation. If the attic floor joists were intended merely to carry the ceiling, they may not be strong enough to serve as the floor of a living area. An architect or building contractor must determine if joists need strengthening. Codes also dictate stair construction. Consideration must be given to where stairs will be placed and impact on floor plan.