Determining attic load bearing.

Old 10-14-04, 09:26 AM
rjc116
Visiting Guest
Determining attic load bearing.

I have a large open attic area with a steep roop line. Roof was stick built so there are no trusses to deal with. the floor of the attic is 2X6's on 16" centers and spans are 15' maximum. Is this sufficient to lay down plywood and use for storage. We want to store some furniture and other stuff that might have some weight. Also, there are 2X4's spaced about 10' apart from the floor to the bottom of the roof center board. I know that they use these to hold center board while they are placing the rafters but why did they leave them. I want to remove them but worry that they are serving some function.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-15-04, 04:53 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
No

The attic floor joists are likely undersized for your needs.
Maximum span is about 10' 3" or less for 2x6 at 16in oc spf #2 to still meet code load minimums for attic floors.

The 2x4 braces need to be left in place unless a professional can advise you otherwise.

Old 10-15-04, 07:31 AM
rjc116
Visiting Guest
Can I distribute the weight/

Can I distribute the load by running 2X4's perpendicular to the 2X6's at 16"OC and then install plywood flooring?

Old 10-16-04, 06:35 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rjc116
Can I distribute the load by running 2X4's perpendicular to the 2X6's at 16"OC and then install plywood flooring?

NO.

The load bearing capacity of the floor is determined by the length of the overall span, the depth of the lumber, the spacing of the joists and the species of lumber and the required load to which it must be designed.

In order to reach the appropriate load capacity at 30 lbs per square foot that most codes require, you will need to increase your floor joists to at least 2x10s or larger based upon your current spans and joist centering.

There may be other ways to achieve the same results including spacing joists closer than 16" on center, sistering joists and so on, but you will need to have the plan approved by an engineer/code office before proceeding.