fiberglass insulation for 18.5 inch centers?

Old 10-20-04, 03:35 PM
cassmanic
Visiting Guest
fiberglass insulation for 18.5 inch centers?

I need some rolls of fiberglass insulation for my attic, but the rafters are 18.5" between centers. IOW, the GAP between the rafters is a full 16 and 3/4 inches. I understand most rolls are designed for 16 or 24 inch centers. Can it be bought or special ordered at odd sizes?

The person who lived here before me added insulation in a couple places. They used the 16 in stuff, but had to nail furring strips to the inside of the rafters to give themselves somewhere to staple. Would be a lot of extra work to do this for the entire attic. Plus, there would be an air gap on either side of the fiberglass inside each rafter gap--would this impact the effectiveness of the insulation, i.e., the R value?

Someone suggested I unroll and attach the rolls cross ways (turned 90 degrees), and cut slots in the fiberglass for the rafters. Sounds like a royal pain to me. Not a fan of this plan.

What to do? Suggestions?

TIA

Sponsored Links
Old 10-20-04, 05:52 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Simple

The answer is simple:

You need to find a commercial insulation dealer nearby that deals in commercial spaced insulation which is the same distance on center as yours.

Old 10-20-04, 06:49 PM
Super Moderator
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
cassmanic,

It is possible to get custom cut fibreglass but I think you will be shocked by the price.

What I have done in exactly the same situation as yours is to cut a strip off a full piece and insert it into the space..
You might find it easier to cut a 24" piece in half and fit in bigger filler pieces.

You could easily make a jig to cut the strip.

Old 10-21-04, 06:25 PM
cassmanic
Visiting Guest
Bingo!

Right you were, homebild! I had to make a few calls, but I found exactly what I needed. They call it "1919" because it's R-19 and 19" wide. I didn't measure it, but it fits quite well. The only difference is it comes in batts, not rolls. I never heard of batts, but then, I'm new to this.

For any other newbies who might need to know, batts are just pieces of insulation too short to roll. In the case of the 6" stuff I bought, the batts are 4' long, and I also got some 3.5" inch stuff (also 19" wide), which came in 8' batts.

Many, many thanks!

Originally Posted by homebild
The answer is simple:

You need to find a commercial insulation dealer nearby that deals in commercial spaced insulation which is the same distance on center as yours.

Old 10-22-04, 04:56 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Wink

Did you try Home Depot or Lowes For the cellulose insulation no cut just blow to fit. They have the blower to put it in. Not as bad as fiberglass

ED