drylock or vapor barrier or both ??

Old 10-23-04, 06:59 AM
golfpro2b
Visiting Guest
drylock or vapor barrier or both ??

I have a unfinished basement that has 2 rooms separated by the staircase.
My plan is to make one room a den / playroom, the other room a bedroom.
There is also a bathroom off of the bedroom area.

The builder framed the bedroom only and left the other areas unfinished.
When he framed the bedroom, on the wall against basement cinder block wall (which is below grade), he framed with a vapor barrier and off of the basement block wall about 1 inch. There is no drylock or any similar material on the basement wall.

1. is it necessary to put drylock or similar on the walls if a vapor barrier is used ? I live in the southeast, and have noticed slight dampness on a few blocks after we received 10 inches of rain from the last hurricane. I used a de-humidifier and the dampness was gone in a few days. I donít foresee a water or dampness issue in the future, (10 inch of rain is very unlikely) but want to be sure.

2. If I do need the drylock and vapor barrier, then I will have to tear down the framed part against the basement brick in the bedroom. Is it possible to tear down the wall and salvage the material since I will have to put it right back after the drylock?

3. There is an area approx 9ft by 4 ft in the stairwell that the builder painted the exposed basement block wall. What is the best way to remove this paint so I can apply the drylock? Again this area is below grade.

I am just in the beginning stages of planning this project. I will have many more questions as I go along, but this will get me started. It will be a slow process since I will only be able to work on some weekends.

I have read a lot of the other posts, but did not find these questions addresses.
Any advice will be helpful. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-23-04, 06:46 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I'm not a big fan of sealing from the inside - seems like it traps moisture in the wall and this might cause damage over time. But I'm not a pro and would be interested in what pros think

Old 10-25-04, 06:44 AM
H
i am interested in thougs as well - i have seen an opinion for and against the vapor barrier. i have had two contractors quote to finish my basement 1) uses foam againt the blocks and then studs against foam and then drywall. 2) moves wall 2 inches away from blocks and uses thin vapor barrier (plastic).

I'm not convinced moving the wall away from the blocks adds anything - there will not be any circulation there.

I was told by both i did not need dryloc, but i think i do. I have 2 or 4 inches wet block at the bottom of the floor in a good portion of the basement (north east). the floating floor does not get wet - just the blocks. i was going to power wash, dry them out and then dryloc.

Old 10-25-04, 06:29 PM
Wink

When you say BLOCK I would drylok it and hang a 6 mil poly down from the sill plate.On cement just hang the poly on the wall. Studs 1" out .A R-13 paper to the room. R 19 in the joist space up there on the sill plate. Another poly on the studs then drywall.

Ed

Old 11-12-04, 09:08 AM
abnunan
Visiting Guest
Drylock or Epoxy

I am about to have my basement refinished and just had a french drain system installed. Unfortunately, they weren't able to drill bleeder holes in the bottom of the cynderblock walls due to a brick finish on the lower half of the wall. Therefore, I still have water in the walls and some minor seepage.

I want to stop the seepage to avoid any mold problem developing behind the wall.

It looks like the walls had preciously been painted with some heavy think paint, almost like a white wash.

I was thinking of using an epoxy paint like Dura Seal 400 to lock out the moiture and seepage, but just learned of the drylock. Does anyone have any thoughts on which might be better or use a vapor barrier or both?

Thanks

Old 11-12-04, 10:02 AM
Wink

If that first paint stuff you have on there now can it be Thorseal. Its like a flat white with sand in it???? You could go over it with another coat of the same if you want to. it stops water. Dont see why they cant drill holes in the brick??

ED

Old 11-26-04, 10:18 PM
industry-links
Visiting Guest
I also am not a big fan of sealing the wall from the inside. Water stil comes through the block. Now, instead of coming into the basement or evaporating into the dryer air, it will sit inside of the block. I've done many jobs where the block has deteriorated and additional structural problems needed addressed because the water was trapped in the wall and dissolving the block. One job, you could pull the front face of the block off, it was that deteriorated.

A vapor barrier will help with keeping the moisture out of the "livable" area in the basement. It obviously does not stop water from coming through the foundation though. The best bet would be to attach plastic from the sill palte to the floor, and seal with a caulking along both of those places. If water problems worsen, you may need to address that at that time.

In the end, if condensation/slight moisture is the only problem, the vapor barrier is all you would need.

Old 12-05-04, 07:04 PM
barkowkj
Visiting Guest
a small thought

wether or not you have moisture or water in your basement.....dry loc should always be used as a precaution because it is a basement and things might happen....

dry locing a wall before framing it out with studs and dry wall is not nessesary but a good precaution

i personally would just paint crazy with dry loc and leave the walls like that

i am not a fan at all of framing and putting dry wall in the basement

if you want the wall.....spend the money and buy blue board that is especially made for basements

if you dry wall your basement and have or get any moisture or water.....please advise that REGULER DRY WALL IS A BREDDING GROUND FOR MOLD.....they live on it and eat it
if your drywall gets wet......IT IS GARBAGE

tear it all down....it will not ever dry

once it gets wet...mold will develop and spread and will never go way because even if you clean it with a bleach solution the mold is still living behind it where you can not reach

and then finally if a wet dry wall problem is not taken care of properly it will seep thru to your studs and basement walls and start to rot your studs and mold will grow behind your walls and on your basement walls

always always use pre--treated wood in basement for studs