Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Basements, Attics and Crawl Spaces
Reload this Page >

New Homeowner - installing flooring in over garage attic

Old 10-25-04, 08:38 AM
kskilskyj
Visiting Guest

Hello - I'm a new homeowner and have never really done anything like this before, so I'm looking for some help. Bascially, I want to install a floor in the attic over my garage for some general storage purposes. I believe I have a truss system. It looks like this:

http://www.truss-frame.com/design-common.html

The bottom chords are 24" apart on center and the entire system is built from 2x4. Basically I have a few questions that I need help with.

1. Will my attic be able to support the weight of storage boxes and me up there occasionally accessing them?

2. There is currently no insulation on the floor of this attic. Being that it is over the garage, does this matter at all? Would laying insulation make any differnce up there? If so, would type of insulation would you recommend? I live in northern Ohio.

3. What type of flooring should I put down? Is 3/8" plywood good enough for my needs? Or should I go for something thicker or thinner? Any preference between plywood and OSB?

4. Are are areas of the attic better/worse in terms of their ability to bear weight? For example, does it make any difference if I place the boxes outside of the 1/3 points of the truss as opposed to inside the 1/3 points?

Any other hints or information you could give me on points I may have missed would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
K

Sponsored Links
Old 10-25-04, 06:17 PM
Wink

It helps for insulation there. Id go for just a R 13 as its not the home and its not under heat or AC. Paper side down or blow cellulose there. Home depot had some T/G ply cut 2'X4' just for this up in the attic. Works out good. yes youcan get up there I do all the time . Just dont over load it is all. I have put some 1X4 spaced out behind that 1/3 this way i put a lot of Xmass "junk"in between the truss.

ED

Old 10-26-04, 09:39 AM
kskilskyj
Visiting Guest
Thanks for the reply Ed.

Is 3/8" ply good enough? Or do I need something thicker?

Can I just attach the ply to the trusses with screws?

Thanks,
Kevin

Old 10-26-04, 02:10 PM
Wink

3/8" and screws will do just fine up there

ED