Moisture - Will this work

Old 10-26-04, 10:26 PM
deked
Visiting Guest
Question Moisture - Will this work

Hi,

I've got some moisture coming through one of my basement walls and causing some mold. It's not very much, but I'd like to stop it asap.

Right above the damp outer wall is a porch. Under the porch, I discovered today, is a 4' x 4' hole filled with dirt in what I thought was a seamless concrete patio. I'm 99% sure if I can cover this hole, I"ll be home free.

I've read about waterproofing crawlspaces with gravel and 6 mil plastic. Will this work in a place that's got rain coming in through the porch floor boards? I thought if I built up the ground a little before I put the plastic down, I could get the water to more or less run off and head out down the patio. Or do I have to pour concrete? Do I need to wait until the end of the rainy season (which in Portland, OR is next July)? Color me clueless.

Any help or advice would be great.

Thanks!

Deked

Sponsored Links
Old 10-28-04, 12:57 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Wink

Id grade the ground under there out and away from the home for sure then cover it with 6 mil poly . Put pea gravel over it. Do it now before winter rains

ED

Old 11-02-04, 11:23 AM
follow-up grading question

i want to regrade but this year limited to keeping the vegitation in place. currently there is a mix of little rocks and dirt againt the foundation all around the house, and in most spots about 3 feet of flower beds (3 feet out from foundation). Which is best:

1) just add 4 inches of dirt against the house (that is all i can do before hitting wood siding) and grade it away over about 3 feet

2) dig out around the foundation 6 inchest or so and back fill with only dirt first and then do number 1 above.

3) dig out around the foundation 6 inches or so and back fill with only pea gravel first and then do number one above.

bascially i am asking when i grade away form the home should it be solid dirt or a mix of dirst and stone (currently a mix of dirt and stone but the grading is flat so i want to fix that this year before the snow). i am in NE.

Old 11-02-04, 05:24 PM
Wink

Ill sound bad here. But Id get the flower beds out of there around the home for sure. A mix of just dirt and top soil then grass. You want some thing that will let the water run off down a slope. Get it away from the home. I think #1 will help you a lot. No on #3 You just want dirt around the home.

ED