Stone Foundation Repointing

Old 11-23-04, 07:35 PM
BLehman
Visiting Guest
Stone Foundation Repointing

Hi,
I need to do some work to my stone foundation to reduce the amount of moisture to the basement. I was told by a home inspector to cleanout b/w the stones, remorter, and finish over the walls (Stucco ?). A 'professional' at HD indicated that i would not need to worry about the mortor and could just cover the walls w/ the stucco. Would this be suffice or would it be better to remorter the stones then finish coat the walls or just take the guys advise. He also indicated that i should use a mesh or chicken wire as a backing for the stucco. I have never heard of this and have been in a lot of basements w/ crubling stucco coatings on stone foundation walls and have never seen a backing like this.

thanks

Old 11-24-04, 05:25 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Stucco is not a structural coating. Remortar (tuckpoint) the joints to prevent movement of the stones later. I have seen the mesh used and not used. Same as with plaster walls. I would think this is a good idea to make sure your Stucco has something to cling to. Choice is yours though. Good luck with your project.

Old 11-26-04, 10:08 PM
industry-links
Visiting Guest
Many times, the stucco will crumble away from moisture. Repointing can help with this if the mortar is crumbling. Also, covering the wall with plastic sheeting first, and sealing the edges will help with the moisture problem.

If course, if the foundation wall moves from any lateral rpessure/settlement, this can cause the stucco to break off also.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: