wet spot on basement floor

Old 11-03-04, 11:53 AM
Skylar
Visiting Guest
Question wet spot on basement floor

We have just bought a 1920 house and everything is going wrong. We have just had our parameter drains redone because there were signs of wet spots on the walls of the foundation. I assumed that would have solved the problem however it has just rained for the last 2 days and we now have a wet spot on the floor in the basement (looks like it is coming through a tiny crack in the floor). The walls of the basement show no signs of dampness now however now I think we have created another problem with the floor. Should I be worried? What should we do? Our house is at the bottom of a sloping hill.
I just spent $5000 putting the drainage in and assumed it would have fixed the problem. Feel a nervous breakdown coming soon. Any help would be great!.

Thanks
skylar

Sponsored Links
Old 11-07-04, 03:15 PM
Group Moderator
Received 166 Votes on 156 Posts
Sometimes basements are just like boats... you fight a battle trying to keep the water out.

It sounds like you've intercepted the water moving horizontally but not water trying to come up from below. Most perimeter drains are about level with the basement slab. The only thing I can think of is to have your perimeter drains at least a foot or so below the level of your basement slab to try and drain down the water level below that of your slab.

I know it's not a solution you want to hear. Hopefully someone more knowledgable will chime in and offer a solution.
===
I have a very interesting soil under my house. I knew drainage would be a problem when I built, so I put 9" of crushed stone under the basement slab in case any water came up from below. My perimeter drains are dry, and I have a hollow porch that give me access to the outside of the foundation which is bone dry down to the footers. A few months ago I was installing a steel newll post in the basement so I cut a hole in the concrete so I could set the post in new concrete. Well, under the slab & crushed stone... water and mud. It must be coming up from below. I am partially down a hill, and there are a couple little springs that help keep my pond filled, so I know there is water moving underground. I even had to put in about $3'000 of crushed stone and drain pipes uphill of my septic drain field to divert the water.

Old 11-07-04, 04:04 PM
Admin Emeritus
Upvotes: 0
Received 5 Votes on 4 Posts
Lightbulb Additional Possibility

Hello: Skylar

Another possibility to help control ground water rising up under the slab my be to have a sump pump professionally installed. Exact locate of sump pump and lines leading to the sump pumps drain, needs to be determined by a pro.

Also needs to be determined the size capacity of the pump and the codes which regulate where to water can be pumped to. Codes vary. Some areas water can be pumped into sewage drain lines or directly into street gutter water run off drains, etc. Inquire where at the city office and or hire a professional licensed for this type of specialty plumbing job.

Question is, where do the existing parameter drains drain into?
A drain line to the sewage, street or just move water away from the foundation? Away from the foundation helps but does not remove the water. Only relocates it which allows it to circle back or under to foundation, etc.

Controlling and or diverting underground water tables is a specialty area and trade skill best left to the professionals, in my opinion.

Check back on your question several more times. Other members posting replies in this forum topic may offer you additional advice, suggestions and or help needed.

Kindly use the reply button to post all replies, add additional information or ask additional questions when replies are posted. Using this method moves the topic back up to the top of the list of questions automatically.

Regards & Good Luck
Web Site Host & Forums Monitor

Personal Reminder:
Buckle Up & Drive Safely.
"The Life You Save, May Be Your Own."

Old 11-15-04, 01:22 PM
Skylar
Visiting Guest
Thanks for the information. I actually just spoke to a neighbor up the hill and she says they have springs all over their lot. So it makes sense that we may be dealing with more than just the normal rain water!! Not exactly good news but now I know where to start.

I am pretty sure the new drainage was not put below the foundation line as I kept on having them show me what they had done before they filled in the drench with gravel. We had a two drain system put in (1 for the parimeter drains, 1 for the gutter run off. It is all hooked up to the storm drains at the end of our property... that said I am not an expert.. just a worry wort.
You would think the previous owner would have disclosed the water issue when they sold it. Especially when they have lived there for 30years.

What kind of pro am I looking for to investigate the possible springs on the lot and putting in a sump pump? Plumber, Engineer???

Thanks again for the information.
skylar

Old 11-26-04, 10:22 PM
industry-links
Visiting Guest
Always remember that water is self leveling. From what you'v explained, I would think the pump may need to be upgraded. If a lot of water is travelling through teh pipe and the pump cannot keep up, the water will rise and you may notice damp spots. If the company used a 1/3 horsepower, you may want to see if they'll trade it in on a 1/2 HP.

Is you basement very long in one direction, or wide? Some jobs I've worked on, we installed a "lateral line" across the middle of the basement floor and tied it to the system. This helped alleviate any hydrostatic pressure problems as you are seeing.