Attic rafters

Old 11-05-04, 04:47 PM
Osiris
Visiting Guest
Attic rafters

I recently bought an older home. It did not have a bathroom fan on the second floor so I starting to lift the plywood floor up in the attic. It was at this time I noticed it only had R12 fiberglass insulation. I wanted to add another R20 as there was room to add in without it being compressed. As I pulled up more of the floor I found some rafters are partially burned from a fire at some point in the attic. Should I do anything and what should be done? Should the rafters being replaced entirely or another added in between? Any opinions are greatly appreciated.

Old 11-05-04, 05:54 PM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
The rafters will have to be inspected for structural damage before you do anything else. The extent of damage will have to be determined.

You also have some legwork to do. You can find out from the city when the fire occurred, and then you can find out if any permits were issued for the repairs, and when the certificate of occupancy was issued. These details will determine what further action is needed. Contact the real estate agent(s) handling the sale, make them earn their commission(s) by doing this legwork for you. At least you have the right to know why the fire was not disclosed as required by law.

Old 11-07-04, 06:42 AM
H
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Ceiling Joists

Since you actually mean 'floor joists' of the attic or 'ceiling joists' of the room below...and since you will be eliminating any live load to be placed over these joists because you are removing the floor in order to increase insulation....

There should be no problem with leaving the charred joists intact and you probably won't have to change anything.

It would be prudent to have the joists examined professionally, but they may already have been after the fire and deemed sound.

It wouldn't hurt to add additonal joists to stiffen the ceiling/floor, but as long as this will remain unused attiuc space there is probably little reason at all to do so.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: