PUtting Up Shelves in Basement

Old 11-06-04, 07:23 PM
Speaker1997
Visiting Guest
PUtting Up Shelves in Basement

I want to put up some basic shelves in the basement of my newly purchase 22 year old home. We seem to have a standard concrete wall, etc., with wood paneling over the concrete.

The shelf kit I have has the shelf plus two plasic anchors and two screws to go into the anchor to hang the shelf.

I have never done this before, but this equipment seems inadequate.
Is it?

Is there other hardware I need? What is the best way to go about getting up this shelf?

Any and all help is appreciated!

Thanks!
Speaker1997

Sponsored Links
Old 11-06-04, 07:44 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Welcome to the DIY forums.

The kit you bought should have all you need to hang your shelves if you were hanging them on a regular wall. You say your basement is concrete walls with paneling over it. Unless the installer of the paneling just glued the paneling to the concrete you will have furring strips. These strips will make the screws that came with your kit too short. Longer screws and anchors will be needed. Other than that you should have no problem.You will need a drill bit for concrete as regular wood bits will dull too quickly. You will need to make the hole in the paneling large enough to push the anchor all the way through to the concrete. This will eliminate the air space between the paneling and the wall.

IF there are no furring strips just use the anchors they sent with the kit and make the holes the correct size for the anchor.

Good luck with your project and post back

Old 11-07-04, 04:42 AM
Speaker1997
Visiting Guest
Putting Up Shelves in Basement-piercing wall?

Thank you for the fast response, but another question...If I get longer screws like you are talking about, and drill through the panel, the furring strip, and then the concrete...I want to drill into the concrete, but not through it, correct?

I ask as a friend suggested something like this, but he talked about using butterfly or toggle bolts (everyone seems to have a different name)...but for something like that to work wouldn't I be drilling all the way through the concrete?

Assuming standard width paneling and furring strips, what size anchor and screws should I be looking for?

Thanks again!

Old 11-07-04, 05:23 AM
Guess the only way to find out how thick the furring strips are, is to drill a hole where one of the screws is going and measure space. Whatever the distance is from the concrete to the face of the paneling, thats how much LONGER the screws have to be than what came with the shelf. Most furring is 1/2 to3/4' so a toggle bolt would not have room to open unless you drilled a huge hole in the concrete. Add the measurements and go to the hardware or Big Box store and take the screw with you and get the same size but longer screw.

Old 11-07-04, 01:09 PM
Wink

I think you have to find out just how deep say the wall is and just what you have there there first. go from there.

ED