Furnace in Basement

Old 11-07-04, 03:42 PM
Can'tHitANail
Visiting Guest
Furnace in Basement

I have a furnace, or what I believe is a furnace (heats house with hot water radiators and provides hot water), I need to know how close I can build my walls in the basement to it? I am using metal studs and 1/2 inch sheet rock. The problem is that if I must build to far, over 6 inches, then I will have an extremely narrow walk way. Thank you all in advance for any and all assistance you may be able to provide me.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-07-04, 04:28 PM
Admin Emeritus
Upvotes: 0
Received 5 Votes on 4 Posts
Hello: Can'tHitANail. Welcome to the Do It Yourself Web Site.

One of the more important aspects is not to box in any gas appliance so as to either restricted fresh air intake or block off fresh air intake air to the area where the appliance is located. Must have plenty of fresh outside air to allow for proper burner operation, fuel combustion and flu fumes to exhaust.

Any restriction, reduction or blockage to fresh air from outside will drastically and negetively effect fuel combustion. Doing so has the potiental to create a hazardous condition, which produces burner sooting, unburned gasses which produces deadly carbon monoxides and fumes to properly vent, etc.

All building and safety codes should be adhered to. Best to ask the advice of a licensed building contractor and obtain info from the city or county offices pertaining to local building codes.

Check back on your question several more times. Other members posting replies in this forum topic may offer you additional professional advice, suggestions and or help needed.

Kindly use the reply button to post all replies, add additional information or ask additional questions when replies are posted. Using this method moves the topic back up to the top of the list of questions automatically.

Regards & Good Luck
Web Site Host & Forums Monitor

Personal Reminder:
Buckle Up & Drive Safely.
"The Life You Save, May Be Your Own."

Old 11-07-04, 04:45 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Wink

Id check code for where you are on this . Like said you need air to get to the burner. Also dont forget so you can work on the pump or pumps. Drain the boiler ,bleed it get ,to the expansion tank. The auto water fill and pop off. Clean and take care of the burner. So you do need room around the boiler for sure.

ED

Old 11-07-04, 06:11 PM
Can'tHitANail
Visiting Guest
More info.....

Does it matter that the furnace is oil instead of gas?

Old 11-07-04, 07:03 PM
Admin Emeritus
Received 5 Votes on 4 Posts
Fuel Type (Oil or Gas) Does Not Matter

Hello: Can'tHitANail

Your question:
Does it matter that the furnace is oil instead of gas

The answer:
Must have plenty of fresh outside air to allow for proper burner operation, fuel combustion and flu fumes to exhaust.

Any restriction, reduction or blockage to fresh air from outside will drastically and negetively effect fuel combustion. Doing so has the potiental to create a hazardous condition, which produces burner sooting, unburned gasses which produces deadly carbon monoxides and fumes to properly vent, etc.

Fuel type does not matter.
All materials and fuel types that burns, must have air.