Framing a half Thermax wall

Old 11-29-04, 09:15 AM
Jooced
Visiting Guest
Framing a half Thermax wall

After extensive searching I'm left scratching my head about a problem I'm having. I'm currently finishing the basement in our new house (built this summer). It's a 4 level split and the 3rd level is a basement lookout. The builders placed Thermax around the lower half of the floor (please see http://bbh.3ring.com/images/basement.jpg ).

I have framed the wall to the left in the pictue straight up and down on the outside of the Thermax. However, I'm stumpped on what to do on the window wall. That shelf is 7" wide and I'm clueless on what to do so I can sheetrock the lower half of that wall. I'd rather not build the entire wall on the outside of the Thermax since we would then have a 7" window sill. I would rather have a 7" shelf across the wall. Obviously the upper half is easy enough but if anyone has any suggestions or experience on what to do with the bottom half please let me know.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-29-04, 09:30 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Wink

Id just do like we do on a full wall. Build the short wall with 2X4 to the top there and tie it to the outside wall Make a wood shelf and sill across the whole thing like you said. Dont forget W/T wood on the bottom plate.

ED

Old 12-01-04, 03:52 PM
I have a ledge too

Jooced:
I have a ledge in my basement too. I plan to finish it the way Ed recommended since the upper portion is framed and ready to drywall. Also, a finished peice of wood should top it off nicely and provide a space to display photos or trophies. Are you going to build a suffit around the duct work? Just curious how you plan to finish the ceiling?
Please let me know how it turns out. Thanks.
-jasper

Old 12-01-04, 04:26 PM
Thumbs up

I always like a drop down ceiling that way can get back into it move wires, phone ,T/V, lights , work on water pipes. Have just hang fluorecent lights from the joist and put clear plastic panels in under them. In the same spot put some Xmass lights up there with its own supply. Turn them on the others off and its party time.Did a 4'X8' in clear lights above it for pool table worked the best light we have had over the pool table. There is just lots of things you can do with a drop down ceiling .It also helps some with sound.

my .02 cents

ED