Ventilation question

Old 12-04-04, 03:34 PM
glapio
Visiting Guest
Ventilation question

I am buying a home and the inspector said that it needed more attic ventilation. The house is about 1200 sf, built in 1939, and has two gable vents (one on each side). I have spoken with several roofers about installing additional ventilation and they all gave me very different answers (and prices). One of them said that I needed soffit vents every 6-8 feet and vents in the roof (I don't know what kind are the best). His quote was $200/vent. Another said that I only needed soffit vents ($275/vent). Another said that I don't need any vents at all, and ventilation isn't necessary in my home.

I don't know much about roofing or ventilation, but I DO know that I don't want to replace my roof in a year or two and I don't want moisture to build up, etc...

I need advice on the best option for our attic.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-04-04, 03:44 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Wink

Ok by the book. You need 1sq ftof vents for every 150 sq ft of attic should be 1/2 in and 1/2 out. A attic fan on a tstat is good there you need sq ft of the attic X0.7 === the CFM of the fan. If you put vents in the over hang you need the foan rafter vents also so the air can get over the insulation. yes for sure you need vents up there in the attic all the time winter and summer. Think of the roof there is just to keep the wind rain and snow off the insulation is all

ED

Old 12-04-04, 04:09 PM
glapio
Visiting Guest
Thanks. I am not sure what a "tstat" is, though.

Old 12-04-04, 04:13 PM
Hi Glapio,
Welcome to the DIY Forums.
"tstat" stands for thermostat. This is what tells the fan to turn on and off at a specific set temperatures.
Good luck and post back

Old 12-04-04, 04:25 PM
glapio
Visiting Guest
Ok. I estimate that the attic space is about 1000 sf. If we decide to install 1 attic fan with a tsat (my new terminology) and 4 overhang vents, what is a good estimate of the cost? I am not skilled enough to do it without professionals.

Old 12-04-04, 04:31 PM
Wink

All kind of vents to use in the over hang .You say 4 so say about $32.00 + your sweat to put them in. They have a fan just for the gable vents . Home depot and Lowes check them out.

ED

Old 12-04-04, 04:41 PM
glapio
Visiting Guest
Thanks

Thanks. That helps clear it up for us!