Framing Lowered Ceiling

Old 12-05-04, 12:34 AM
cryan6904
Visiting Guest
Framing Lowered Ceiling

Whar are some good options for framing a 10'x12' area of ceiling about 1' under existing floor joists. It is not a closed rooom, but a portion of our open living area (over the bar). There are simply too many ducts and pipes to soffit and I do not want a drop ceiling. I have 3 walls to work with.

Thanks,
C.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-06-04, 08:32 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I used 2x2s (you should be able to get 10' 2x2's) attatched to the walls and supported every 4' by steel straps from the floor joists above. (not the roll, but framing straps of some kind I got at Lowes, they have a variety of lengths, by the joist hangers) I used 16" centers to permit 1/2" drywall.

I did it as high as I could under the ductwork--which made the ceiling height 2" lower than the ducts (2x2 plus 1/2" drywall)

In my bathroom I used 12x12" ceiling tiles stapled to the 2x2s (which of course had to be at 12" centers instead of 16".

Old 12-07-04, 12:29 PM
speaker
Visiting Guest
I am not disagreeing with caleyg solution, that will work. I just think it is overkill. You are only lowering by 1' you have the floor/ceiling joists and wall I assume for lots of support. Just use a chalk line on the wall and on the joists. asemble on the ground, in 2 pieces. First build the virtical wall (1' high)them nail it on the chalk line (3 1/4 spikes or screw) into the joists, then the horizontal frame , slide it in and nail it to the studs (if it's concrete 22 them in) and connect it to the virtical frame, done!. before puting drywall eyeball to make sure everything looks straight, and when installing the drywall do not apply tons of pressure easy does it, otherwise you may see a bit of a warp. if you can't slide the sections in because of piping etc..., just add a couple of members afterwards
hope this helps

Old 12-07-04, 01:28 PM
Maybe I explained myself poorly. Your soloution sounds like alot more work! I guess mine boils dowwn to "use 2x2s as ceiling joists and use something to tie them up so they won't warp."

Sounds like you're describing building soffits--He just wants a lower cieling all the way.

Old 12-07-04, 02:54 PM
speaker
Visiting Guest
I guess I miss understood

Ya, I was thinking more of a pipe cover up job, that doesn't extend from wall to wall, rather than the whole ceiling being droped. So these tie bars just keep things straight and lookin' good I guess EH?

Sounds good!

Old 12-07-04, 03:52 PM
cryan6904
Visiting Guest
Thanks for the info guys. I will look for some of these braces at lowe's.

C.

Old 12-07-04, 08:32 PM
They really look just like a piece of sheet steel with holes drilled in them. They keep it from sagging down which is the only thing you need to worry about. The drywall will keep it straight once it's screwed in and the weight of the drywall will keep it from bowing up. If you can't find them, the steel strapping tape plumbers or heating/cooling ductwork uses would probably work almost as well.