Framing around a support post

Old 12-14-04, 07:23 AM
DrDeath
Visiting Guest
Framing around a support post

Looking for best way to accomplish this. The posts in my basement are slightly larger in diameter than a 2x4. I suppose that a 2x6 would do the job, but just not sure if the interior dimension of this box will fit around the post.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-14-04, 05:59 PM
speaker
Visiting Guest
Maybe?

You might want to just build 4 vertical 2 x 2 frames (2 verticals and a top and bottom plate for each) Shoot 2 concrete nails in each bottom plate, toe nail top plate to joists (may have to put some 14 1/2" 2x flush with bottom joist for a nailing surface). The 4 small 2 x 2 (walls in a sense) will form a box around the pole. put at least 1 piece of 2 x 2 in each wall to keep tight and straight. Remember to nail them all together, then customize to fit your taste, 1/2 moon blocking around, crown molding shelves whatever ya like!
just a thought!

Old 12-17-04, 02:29 AM
rlvarcoe
Visiting Guest
column

If it is a normal column as you describe we normally use a hilti gun and shoot into the 2x6 into the column. I almost always use four of them, two shot on and two nailed to the shot on ones. try to keep them plumb. Remember to wear you glasses and ear protection when using these devices.

Old 12-17-04, 12:01 PM
DrDeath
Visiting Guest
Holy cow, I never thought of using a Hilti gun. Won't the nails bounce or deflect off the round steel post?

Old 12-18-04, 09:44 AM
buzbomb
Visiting Guest
Originally Posted by rlvarcoe
Remember to wear you glasses and ear protection when using these devices.
sometimes they do

Old 12-19-04, 12:22 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Wink

Or 4 -2x6 Cut so they fit tight nail 3 into a U and slip over the post then nail the last one in. Shoot it in one or two times or shim tight to the beam.

ED