Soffit with Drop Down Ceiling

Old 12-15-04, 11:11 AM
K
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Soffit with Drop Down Ceiling

I am trying to build some soffits in my basement to cover up the ducts hanging below the floor joist. There are two width of soffit I need to build: 1. 2 ft wide to cover a section of single duct; 2. 6 ft wide to cover a section where two ducts run side by side pluc the I-beam.

I've heard of people using dropdown ceiling instead of drywall to cover the bottom of the soffit. And I would imagine that you still need to build two short vertical stud walls (that will be attached the bottom of the floor joists) along each side of the duct to hang the drop down ceiling. And you still need to drywall 3 sides of the short vertical wall: outside face, bottom and a little bit of the inside face where you have the dropdown ceiling joining with the bottom of the short wall.

So, can anyone tell me if my solution will work. If it does, should I use 2x4 or 2x2. What are the cons/pros of using dropdown ceiling vs. drywall? Are there any better/easier solutions?

Thank you.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-17-04, 02:25 AM
rlvarcoe
Visiting Guest
drop ceiling

Hi, what we normally do because of height considerations is to build the soffits you need and drywall them. We then bring the dropped ceiling up to the soffit at which ever height you want.

The advantages of the drop ceiling is access to utilties such as vent open/close in duct work, access to water shutoff etc.

no need to further frame out/move wires plumbing etc attached to joists

disadvantages are some people find them ugly, and the cost of more

Old 12-19-04, 12:40 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Wink

A lot is in what do you want after your off the duct work. Do you want to go up then to just off the floor joist . Are can you keep it all flat like the same as under the duct. I have where the ceiling stayed flat. Screwed the small T bars to the bottom the duct and slid the panels in as I worked away from the duct. Just ran the ceiling on that line. Do go for a drop down ceiling for sure. I have been back in many. Move the phone line the T/V fix a water leak move a light . The best is for a pool table. Put just plain cheap fluorescent light up there in the joist. In the drop ceiling put the clear plastic in best light you can have. Also if you want. put up some Xmass lights in there on a different line. Turn them on and the others off and its party time.

ED