Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Basements, Attics and Crawl Spaces
Reload this Page >

Retrofit firestop between stud and foundation walls

Old 12-22-04, 10:11 AM
CStone
Visiting Guest

Hi all. I have a finished basement with drywalled stud walls set out from concrete foundation wall by about 4"-5". There is no firestopping at the top where the vertical gap meets the horizontal spaces between the joists as required by code.

I have access to the gaps from the unfinished areas of the basement and from the sump pump and breaker panel closets. The walls run from 12'-18' long.

1) What is the likelyhood this will be a problem when the house is sold.

2) Does anyone know of a way to retrofit some kind of firestop at the top without having to cut out big sections of the drywall and insulation?

3 Do I need to put firestop at the top of walls that run parallel to, and are attached to, the joists? Thus, the joists act as firestop.

Thanks in advance.
Charlie

Sponsored Links
Old 12-22-04, 10:21 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Wink

Call code where you are and ask them just what it calls for . There where you are.

ED

Old 12-23-04, 05:53 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Usually Acceptable

What is usually acceptable is to fasten 2x10 blocks in the floor joists at the top of the walls and/or to simply stuff the gaps tight with unfaced fibergalss insulation.

But you do need to consult your local code authority.

Old 12-24-04, 07:37 PM
CStone
Visiting Guest
Thanks. I gave the local code office an anonymous call and talked to an inspector. He said in a situation like this, that they would not require me to cut out the sheetrocked walls/ceiling to retrofit the firestopping.

Based on the 2nd reply, I bet in some of the areas I could slide about a 3" PVC pipe into the gap about midway up...then above it pull thru some unfaced insullation batts, then use the pipe to lift it up and sorta jam it up into the gap between the stud top plate, top of foundation, and bottoms of joists. Of course, I might not.

It was an interesting conversation with the code guy when I asked what I could do to 'get legit' on my non-permit basement. He said come on in with plans and they'd take it from there. This could turn out ok...or turn into a horror story...not sure if I'll take him up on it or not.