Basement-moving a beam support pole

Old 12-22-04, 12:30 PM
chopper33
Visiting Guest
Basement-moving a beam support pole

I want to move a beam support post about 2 feet in either direction. The beam is made of micro-lamb (spelling?). It looks as there are 2 pieces nailed side by side along the whole run of the beam. The beam support pole I want to move is located directly under where one piece of mico-lamb is butted up to the next piece of micro-lamb where it continues along the beam although the other piece of micro-lamb nailed to the back of these pieces keeps running through the area described. I wish I could attach a digital picture but don't know how... Can I move the pole from underneath the butting micro-lamb pieces without compromising the support? Please email me so as I can send a picture of the description above...description

Sponsored Links
Old 12-23-04, 11:27 AM
darren_1974
Visiting Guest
Short answer = no

Old 12-23-04, 05:44 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Right

Right.
No can do without an engineer's oversight and approval, possibly requiring a new beam, and not without jacking up the basement floor to install proper footings under the slab to suppor the newly relocated posts.

Old 12-24-04, 01:18 AM
darren_1974
Visiting Guest
Just for a bit of additional info: The main problem is the splice in the beam; the butted ends. You will at the very least need to sister the beam with 1 new member on each side, to stagger the splices. Only an engineer can determine what is needed. The second problem is the footings under the new support colums. They won't be there when you move them. The footings will need to be AT LEAST 24 x 24" x 10" thick. Creating these will involve breaking out the existing slab. Best advice, consult an engineer. Its not as costly as you think.