Excavating&Installing New Basement

Old 12-26-04, 09:07 AM
Moishe3rd
Visiting Guest
Excavating&Installing New Basement

Well, here's the thing:
I want to put an addition on to my house.
I am capable of doing most of the work myself.
However, I am looking for innovative or new ways to keep costs down without violating code and to make things easier for me on those things I have never done before.
For instance:
Excavating the new basement.
I can rent a mini shovel / excavation machine (I forget what its called, but my friendly rental place has one and they tell me it will do the job), and dig out the new basement. But, I have never done this before, so, is that the best way to go in terms of cost and convenience?
I can dig out and pour the concrete footings - but, again, I never poured footing for an 20 x 40 addition before, only basic 42" frost footings for support posts for additions. Is there a secret here I don't know.
Then, I get into the best way to form the walls.
I could lay block, but it would take me awhile and I'm not as young as I used to be.
I could buy the pink insulation forms and pour concrete, but is that actually more expensive?
I could do the whole thing in green treated foundation plywood because I understand wood, but does green treat really work and is it going to be cheaper than concrete or block?

Now as I continue upwards from the 2x6 framing to the trusses and laminate beams to the sheathing, etcetera, all of which I have done and understand better than the foundation, I am trying to research what is new? Inexpensive? Convenient? Things I do not know about. Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
Old 12-26-04, 01:57 PM
darren_1974
Visiting Guest
I have some pics that might help give you an idea of whats involved http://members.shaw.ca/hackers/pics1.html

Old 12-26-04, 03:30 PM
Moishe3rd
Visiting Guest
Outstanding pictures.
But, unfortunately, they don't really tell me what I am trying to figure out.
Are you a professional at cinder block laying?
If not, how long did it take you to procure; mix the mud; lay the block; and what was the expense?
You see, I am trying to figure out me (or my helper) doing the work laying block or pouring concrete or green treat or whatever...

Old 12-26-04, 03:44 PM
darren_1974
Visiting Guest
I had never laid a block before we started. I had a freind who had done some block laying to stop by and get us started. All of the mud was mixed by hand in a wheelbarrow. A mortar mixer would have been nice, but we wern't laying the block fast enough to need it. It took me a month or so to lay the block, but i have a messed up back, so i was pretty slow. Laying block is actually very easy, if you are set up properly with scaffolding etc.

As far as cost, the block (1400 of them) cost about $4000 Canadian, including all the sand and mortar mix. Bring a plan to your block supplier for a quote. Explain your situation, and they should be able to help with the required materials and tools. They may even know of a good block layer to help you out. A guy laying block on the side here typically charges $1 per block to lay them.

If you have any other questions, just ask.

Old 12-26-04, 03:50 PM
darren_1974
Visiting Guest
I should also mention that i went 13 courses of block high, which made a wall that is 8'8" tall. I have roughly 120 linear feet of wall, with roughly 850 square feet of inside area. This info is just so you can roughly translate my costs to your project.

Old 12-26-04, 08:52 PM
Moishe3rd
Visiting Guest
thank you darren. This is actually quite useful.