Insulate Remainder of Basement?

Old 12-28-04, 12:18 PM
GatorMcClusky
Visiting Guest
Insulate Remainder of Basement?

I know nothing about houses, so please bear with me.

We moved into a new home in May 2004. The basement is technically unfinished, with a cement floor. About 15% of the wall space around the stairway was finished with drywall, and about 70% of the wall space has Thermax (polyisocyanurate insulation) covering it. I believe the insulation is about two inches thick coming out from the concrete wall. I want to finish the basement, so I assume I'll be fastening 2x4s in front of the Thermax so I can attach the drywall. Here's the question... should I go ahead and attach Thermax to the remaining 15% of the wall space that's plain concrete to "even it out", or just turn the 2x4's sideways over the Thermax and place the 2x4's long ways where there is no insulation so it will be even?

(Sorry if that's confusing, but it's hard to explain in words).

Sponsored Links
Old 12-28-04, 05:45 PM
H
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Basement Insulation

How or if you insulate a basement depends upon whether the basement or crawlspace is considered a 'conditioned' or 'unconditioned space', whether the floor is dirt or concrete or other, whether it is below grade or above and many different issues...

That said, even having proper foam insulation to meet basic energy conservation codes may not be enough to meet other code requirements.

For example, NO building code will permit foamed insulation of anytype to be exposed in any living space or basement.

You need to cover even polyisocyanurate foam insulation with at least a 1/2" layer of drywall taped and finished for firecode reasons...

Bottom line:

You need to contact your local code enforecement office to make sure you meet code for your region.