Stationary Tub - Moss?

Old 12-28-04, 02:12 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Stationary Tub - Moss?

There is this stuff on the inner wall of the stationary tub what I believe to be a "moss". It is black in color, and when scraping, it has a texture similar to a clod of lawn mulch (like the stuff you scrape off the wheels of a mower). Scraping it away reveals some damage to the wall. It should be smooth stone, but now it's pitted and rough.

Question 1: Is this some kind of a stone eating moss? If not, what is it?

Question 2: Can I get something to smooth the wall?

Question 3: Is a UV light beneficial in killing the moss? I have a blacklight on it now.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 12-29-04, 05:46 AM
Not sure WHAT it is but has the characteristics of mold. I would use a bleach solution to clean and remove it (1 part bleach 4 or 5 parts water). It sounds like you have moisture in that area that is a feeding ground for whatever it is. Once you get it clean, you can do a moisture test on that area of the wall. Cut a 12" X 12" square of aluminum foil and tape it to the wall making sure it is well sealed. Let it stay 48 hours and then, if the foil has moisture when you look at it, it's humidity. If you peel the foil off and the underside is wet, it is moisture from the masonary surface. You may have to use a sealer such as Dry-loc or Thuro-seal. Good luck.

Old 12-31-04, 07:37 PM
J
Thanks but I decided to get a new fiberglass tub. This should last me the duration of may stay in this home (10 years ... or less). Man! I never knew how fun it was to bust apart an old tub until now!