Sealing Basement Wall Cracks

Old 12-29-04, 07:24 AM
P
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Sealing Basement Wall Cracks

Went through 2-3 pages of posts and didn't see this question answered *scratches head*

I have an unfinished basement in a home that's about 3-4 years old. There are 3 verticle cracks that are not terribly wide (probably couldn't fit a penny in them) how ever there is a small amount of green accumulation (assuming moss or algae) around the cracks that leads me to believe some moisture is getting in. Though I've never found it to be damp when I check it.

With that said what can I do to fill these cracks? I'm assuming its needed prior to making plans of finishing my basement. Would also get the wife off my back

My last home had some kind of hard caulking or liquid nails like substance applied to the cracks in it. Would I use something like that or just some cement type stuff?

As you can see I have no clue but I really don't want to pay someone to do something I can easily do myself.

Thanks for your replies.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-29-04, 08:13 AM
There are products at the home improvement stores for the purpose you need. Dri-loc, Thuro-seal and such. Read the instructions on the package to see what applications they cover. It is a DIY project.
You can test for moisture by taping a 12" X 12" square of aluminum foil to the wall. Make sure it is sealed well around the edges. Let it sit for 48 hours and then look at the outside surface. If it has moisture, it's condensation from the basement. Remove the foil and if it is wet, its moisture from the wall and needs to be sealed. Good luck.

Old 12-29-04, 08:24 AM
P
Originally Posted by majakdragon
You can test for moisture by taping a 12" X 12" square of aluminum foil to the wall. Make sure it is sealed well around the edges. Let it sit for 48 hours and then look at the outside surface. If it has moisture, it's condensation from the basement. Remove the foil and if it is wet, its moisture from the wall and needs to be sealed. Good luck.
Thanks for the reply and info...another question just to make sure I'm following you correctly.

So tape a 12"x12" afoil square over the crack and make sure it's sealed? If there's moisture on the outside of the foil it's from the basement but if it's on the INSIDE of the foil it's from the crack and needs sealing?

Old 12-29-04, 08:27 AM
Sorry, I thought about your current question after I replied to last post.
You will want to seal the cracks no matter what. Put the foil test piece on the wall where there are no cracks. This will give you an idea if the wall has moisture before you start finish work. Good luck.

Old 12-29-04, 09:07 AM
P
Great.. thanks for the clarification. Sealing the cracks if nothing else will make my wife happy

Old 12-29-04, 12:28 PM
D
I had a similar problem

Hi

I had a similar issue with a small crack in my floor. There are a couple of products available. They were next to the dry concrete at the orange box store.

Before I would seal the cracks, since you have green stuff, I would spray down the area with deluted bleach (you wife probably has some colrox) to make sure that the area is "dead".

Old 12-30-04, 06:58 AM
P
Originally Posted by dragon60030
Hi

I had a similar issue with a small crack in my floor. There are a couple of products available. They were next to the dry concrete at the orange box store.

Before I would seal the cracks, since you have green stuff, I would spray down the area with deluted bleach (you wife probably has some colrox) to make sure that the area is "dead".

Ooh.. good idea. Thanks for the suggestion

Old 01-07-05, 06:46 AM
R
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Fixing cracks permanently

I had a crack in my basement for over 2 years until last October I found a product on the internet and I ordered 2 kits and never had a problem since. Its very easy to use and it has step-by-step instructions.

Last edited by twelvepole; 01-16-05 at 09:06 PM. Reason: link to commercial website
Old 01-08-05, 04:50 PM
latuszek
Visiting Guest
How can I do the tin foil test since my basement walls aren't poured concrete, they are cinder blocks. So it is not a smooth surface, and thus how would i make an airtight seal around the edges of the foil? Thanks for your replies.

Old 01-08-05, 04:59 PM
darren_1974
Visiting Guest
even if it is cinder block, you should be able to get a tight enough seal for this test.