Cat urine / sealing basement concrete

Old 12-29-04, 07:49 AM
Bugsear
Visiting Guest
Cat urine / sealing basement concrete

We just purchased a house where the previous owners apparently kept their cats in the basement. The cats sprayed the concrete and wood framing. Before moving in we want to clean and seal all of it. I was going to use an enzyme cleaner and then seal it with Kilz. Should I be using a concrete sealer instead or in addition to the Kilz? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-29-04, 02:47 PM
JFDJason
Visiting Guest
Our cats did the same thing to our basement about 3 years ago due to us bringing in a stray......

What worked for us was this. We cleaned the sheetrock and concrete floor with straight bleach. We had to do this about 4 times. Each time it did get better. Once we did that we sealed with a KILZ paint. Worked wonders!!!!! We have a relative that has a strong "Cat-Urine" sensitive nose. She can't smell any cat urine at all anymore. Hope that works for you....

PS: The best way to get rid of Cat Urine = Get Rid of Cats

Old 12-29-04, 03:25 PM
Bugsear
Visiting Guest
I've heard from other online resources that it's not a good idea to mix bleach with pet urine (maybe the ammonia?)...I'm glad to hear it's possible to get out that horrible stink. Thank you for the input!