Building basement walls

Old 12-30-04, 06:46 AM
3rcm
Visiting Guest
Building basement walls

Getting ready to start framing my basement. What's the best way to build the walls? My plan was to build the walls on the floor and then put them in place (8 ft sections). If I do this, I will have to shim the walls at the top to compensate for floor fluctuations, as well as the diagonal of the wall. If I build the walls 1 stud at a time, it will take longer.

What are your experiences?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 01-03-05, 05:46 PM
markman100
Visiting Guest
I just finished framing my basement and I nailed the bottom plate into the concrete. Then nailed the top plate to the floor joists after aligning it with the bottom plate using a plumb bob. Then I measured and cut each 2x4 stud and toe nailed them into the top and bottom plate. This method made it easy to put up a wall within the confines of a basement. I considered using the method you mentioned, but didn't like the fact I'd have to shim it in place.

Old 01-03-05, 06:13 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
3rcm,

Even though installing the top and bottom plate sounds like work, it sure provides a good finished look depending on how you plan to finish the ceiling.

Shims are usually placed at the top but if you make a spacer block, have a helper cut the required lengths, a pnuematic nailer makes easy work of it. No shims needed, clean look and you're done.

Good Luck!

Old 01-03-05, 07:44 PM
darren_1974
Visiting Guest
I did mine by myself, one stud at a time, and it took me maybe 3 very relaxing evenings. I was able to get a very nice finished look to the framing, and it made it way easier to get everything level and plumb.

some pics are here: http://members.shaw.ca/laptop_service_center/pics6.html

Old 01-06-05, 12:11 PM
question

Thanks for the tip. Also, I have a situation in my basement and need advice.

The stairway leading to my basement is completely finished, but the drywall stops where the concrete wall begins in the basement. My problem is there is not enough room to frame over the concrete wall, and make a smooth transition from the stairway. I have only a few inches of depth to play with on the concrete wall. Hardly enough space to frame, insulate and sheetrock using conventional methods.

Has anyone experienced this before? Any ideas how to address this problem? I don't want to redo the stairway wall, thats too much work.
I wish I had a better photo, but this should give you an idea of what I'm describing.
See pic, concrete wall starts on the left side.
http://home.mchsi.com/~derrick.hall/...D-1073279.html

thanks,
-jasper

Old 01-06-05, 12:21 PM
darren_1974
Visiting Guest
For such a small area, i would glue furring strips to the wall, insulate with the appropriate thickness foam, then drywall. 3/4" thick furring plus 1/2" drywall is 1 1/4". Thicken the furring strips and foamboard to make the drywall match.

Old 01-06-05, 01:24 PM
Darren,
thanks. That sounds like it should work. Any suggestions for the type of glue? I guess it would have to be fairly strong since the drywall screws will not anchor into the wall?

jasper

Old 01-06-05, 02:58 PM
darren_1974
Visiting Guest
pl-400 premiun, in the large gun tubes is cheap and works great

Old 01-06-05, 05:43 PM
minimum ceiling height requirement

OK, thanks!
Also, I have question related to meeting minumum ceiling height requirement for my basement. I have 8' 1" from my basement floor to the joists above. I have only 7' 2" from the floor to the bottom of my duct work (at the lowest point), but 7' 5" everywhere else.

You can see my pic here...
http://home.mchsi.com/~derrick.hall/...D-1073273.html

Basement Finish Permit and Building Code Requirements:
"The minimum permitted ceiling height in habitable rooms (i.e. finished family rooms and bedrooms) is 7 feet- 6 inches. If the ceiling is furred down, a minimum of 7 feet is permitted in not more than 1/3 the area of the room. Hallways, bathrooms and toilet compartments may have a ceiling height of not less than 7 feet."

My duct work spans less than 1/3 of the living space, so I'm not concerned about that part of the requirement, but I am concerned though about the lowest point under my duct work being 7' 2". The low point is where the furnance connects to the main duct work.

1) Would I meet the ceiling height requirement after framing and sheetrock? 2) Any ideas on how to correct? I suppose I could try to frame around the perimeter of the low point to avoid loosing additional ceiling height?

-jasper

Old 01-06-05, 05:57 PM
darren_1974
Visiting Guest
I highly doubt that you will have any problems as far as ceiling height go. As long as the inspector doesn't bang his head, you'll be fine with the little area that the ductwork takes. In reality, i bet the inspector never measures it. If you were WAY less than code, he would. Best bet is to ask him before you fur it down or hang drywall.

Old 01-06-05, 08:38 PM
Darren,
thanks for addressing my concerns and good advice.
-jasper

Old 01-06-05, 08:47 PM
darren_1974
Visiting Guest
no problem, and good luck