Water Powered Sump Pumps

Old 01-02-05, 06:11 AM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Water Powered Sump Pumps

I'm looking to purchase a water powered backup sump pump. In researching them, I've found only a few online and they're expensive. When I ask people at Sears Hardware, Lowes and Home Depot, they look at me like I'm from another planet. They never heard of such a product...

Does anyone have any recommedations/sources?

Old 01-03-05, 05:23 PM
markman100
Visiting Guest
Are you maybe talking about an electric powered sump pump that is triggered to pump when water reaches a certain leve?

Old 01-03-05, 07:08 PM
I heard of them

Max,
I heard of them, but I can't give any recommendations. They operate off water pressure instead of a battery or electricity, making them more reliable in the event of a power outage. My former neighbor had one installed. Keep in mind you may have to hire a plumber to run a water supply line to it unless you can do it yourself. You may want to check your local plumbing supply houses too. When I replaced my sump pump four years back, Menards or HomeDepot didn't carry the cast iron type I was searching for.

Good Luck.

-jasper

Old 01-04-05, 06:15 AM
rx-1 blue
Visiting Guest
I just bought 1

I bought 1 on News Years Eve at Home Depot for $99. It does not look that hard to install. I will probley install it this weekend. You need to have a water line plumbed to the pump and add a "Y" to your existing out pipe.

Old 01-04-05, 01:08 PM
Menard's carries them for about $100. I keep meaning to get one.

Old 01-05-05, 09:32 AM
M
RX-1 Blue,

What is the Make and Model of the one you purchased from Home Depot?

Thanks...

Old 01-05-05, 10:09 AM
Max 'a' Million,

When you consider the expense of a good water powered sump pump, I think the better the quality and performance, it is money well spent. Cheap ones don't offer much guarantee. I would not even consider a "Battery Back Up Sump Pump". Reason you may be asking is that it is not a guarantee that they will work when needed. As with most homeowners, we don't always check on things when we are supposed to. If it is out of sight, it definitely is out of mind!

I would recommend a good water powered sump pump backup like the Guardian, normally available through a plumber since they don't sell these over the counter through a plumbing distributor. They are not cheap, runs about $450 - $500 but this must be plumbed into a 3/4" line, and installed before going to any fixtures or tees. Labor on these can be $350 plus. The water pressure from the city powers this and does quite well - for every gallon of water used, 2 gallons is pumped out. It requires a 1 1/2 PVC pipe for discharge.It does come with a Backflow Preventer for the water inlet pipe but you will need to get a check valve for the 1 1/2" PVC line. It can lift the water up to 15 feet at 407 GPH. At 10' it is 580 GPH. It does have an adjustable float that is placed adjusted just above your existing sump pump. So when the power does come back on, your's would kick on and the back up automatically shuts down. Simple and very effective.

I am an advocate of this and have installed many, especially after a client calls and says their battery back up failed. What usually happens is the batteries fail or if wired in on its own circuit, the power goes out, breaker trips and it doesn't recharge. Other cases, the batteries have just failed. If you don't check on it, you will have problems. At least the water pressure is more of a guarantee than the battery backups. I stress this is just used as an Emergency Back Up.

Just some thoughts

Old 01-05-05, 04:47 PM
M
Doug,

I appreciate the information. Have you had any experience with the "Home Guard" (made by Zoeller Pump) water powered pump? They are considerably cheaper. I found them for about $125. Based on the specs, it seems to be adequate. Lifting 10 feet, it will pump...
[*]239 gallons per hour at 40 PSI[*]381 gallons per hour at 60 PSI[*]479 gallons per hour at 80 PSI

Based on your comments, the sump pump feed should be the first diversion off the main line from the street, correct? I can only assume this ensures the necessary water pressure...

Many Thanks,

Matt

Old 01-05-05, 05:16 PM
Max 'a' Million,

The difference in pumps is quite significant. True the price is very different about 300% more but you never have to worry.

In comparison to your Zoeller Pump, which I have no experience with from a water powered unit but have used their electrial ones. Here is what Guardian can do. The reason I choose this, is the gpm, as this is essential and the other is the water pressure required to use it. In a power outage, if the cities pumps also shut down, the water pressure will also drop. Should you be in an area that suffers from this, you need a unit that can evacuate the water fast and the Guardian does this very well.

at 30 psi - 300 gpm
at 40 psi - 500 gpm
at 60 psi - 750 gpm

each is per the 10 ft lift.

Basically you get what you pay for.

p.s. Sorry, didn't answer your other question. Yes, tapping into the main line from the street is essential. Should you try and go from another source and water is left on in some other part of the home, this will reduce the water pressure. Reduced water pressure, reduced amount to be vacated from home. Also the line feeding this is a 1" line - not 3/4" or 1/2" respectfully.

Hope this helps!

Last edited by Doug Aleshire; 01-05-05 at 05:27 PM.
Old 01-05-05, 05:30 PM
rx-1 blue
Visiting Guest
Max

I bought a Bur Cam Sump Buddy Model 300402

The web site ts burcam.com

I hope this helps. I will post after I install the unit this weekend.

Old 01-05-05, 05:34 PM
rx-1 blue,

Impressive if I do say. Regular Price $349.00....Preseason Price $299.00 plus $10.00 S&H in the lower 48.

http://basementbuddy.com/

Thanks for the feedback

Old 01-05-05, 05:42 PM
M
Thanks to all that have replied. Your comments are much appreciated!!!!!

Old 01-06-05, 05:18 AM
These water power pumps sound great. The only problem is for those of us with well water. If we loose power we will lose water after the air bladder discharges totally.

Old 01-06-05, 05:20 AM
big_bogus,

Unfortunately, that is a drawback for well system homes. You could always buy a back-up generator. Battery backup units are not worth it, IMHO, but in your case, if you are prudent, this may be an idea.

Happy New Year!

Old 01-06-05, 04:27 PM
D
I have seen a battery back up system called Sump Pro.

Looks like two batteries, a charger and an inverter in a single box.

The sump pump (110v) plugs into an outlet on the Sump Pro box, therefore always using the batteries. It should be pretty reliable if dry cell type batteries (like Optima) are used. Supposedly, the system will operate a refrigerator.

Not a bad idea to put your own system together if you are handy.

The Burr-o-Cam sump buddy works, but not too well if water pressure is low.

Old 01-08-08, 12:37 PM
P
Exclamation Water Powered Backup Sump Pump "notes"

Originally Posted by Max 'a' Million
I'm looking to purchase a water powered backup sump pump. In researching them, I've found only a few online and they're expensive. When I ask people at Sears Hardware, Lowes and Home Depot, they look at me like I'm from another planet. They never heard of such a product...

Does anyone have any recommedations/sources?
Home Depot has a cheap water powered backup sump pump that can be used if you are on a municipal water supply. This is because you will still have water pressure in the event that you loose power to your house.

Care should be taken if you are on a community well. If they have backup power systems in place to ensure that you never loose water, you will be ok with a water powered back up pump.

If you are on an individual well, you'll want to consider a battery backup system, because you will loose water if you loose power.

There are several systems that you could choose from. Most are rated on their capacity to remove water and are rated in gallons per hour) gph and the available water pressure in your system.

It should be noted that a backup water pump should never be installed without the proper backflow preventer, (irregardless of the code requirements, which are minimum standards anyway). This device should be installed to prevent the water in your sewer sump from ending up in your drinking water. Most states, counties and cities codes require the installation of the backflow device.

In addition, you may want to consider a high water level alarm set at the height between the main pump and the backup pump. This is to alert the homeowner when the backup pump is being used. It has a loud audible alarm and a reset button. Without this alarm, most people find out their main pump has failed after they receive an outrageous water bill. RJ Rhombus makes this high water alarm, which can also be wired into a home security system.

AY McDonald makes backup pumps, as well as Zoeller and Hydromatic pump, and usually comes with the backflow preventer. There a some other more expensive units like "Water Commander" that takes our a lot of water, but does not come with the backflow device. By the way, the cheap Home Depot unit does not come with the backflow preventer.

Thanks
PlumberJim

Old 12-23-08, 09:54 AM
B
Bur Cam Sump Buddy Model 300402 review

I just purchased and installed a Bur Cam Sump Buddy Model 300402 from Home Depot and wanted to give a review. Overall, I am happy with the way that it performs. My current submersible pumps up about 8 ft and I connected into the existing discharge using a Y connection (1-1/2 PVC). The sump buddy came with a discharge check valve and supply line vacuum break so I didn't have to purchase them separately. I ran a 3/4 copper supply to the pump. I did have an issue with the water float switch internally leaking. I contacted the manufacturer and they suggested that my water pressure was too high. Upon investigation, they were right. It was 100 PSI. I installed a regulator and its now at 60 PSI. No problems with the valve leaking at the proper pressure. Its true that the system does not remove water as fast as the primary electric pump, but it does work, and I think is satisfactory for a back-up system. I cannot speak to the long term durability of the pump because I just installed it, but I plan on testing it monthly and checking the intake to make sure it’s not clogged. I am not a plumber, just a DIY'er, so the advice of the plumbers on this forum may be better.

Hope this helps...

Old 12-30-08, 09:08 AM
G
I just bought a Burcam as well, same model as above. I bought mine at Home Depot but found out that HD is selling old models with the pin type ejector head instead of the screw types Burcam sells now. I.O.Ws HD is selling old stock so I recommend against buying from them. I contacted Burcam since my unit was defective (plastic pins broken off the ejector cap) and that is how I found out HD is selling old stock. Burcam is now shipping me a complete new unit at no cost to replace the pump. How's that for customer service in these tough economic times. I have seen one of these in operation now for three years, no problems. Good buy, cheap, reliable and great customer service. Oh and a two year warranty.

Old 01-20-09, 12:29 PM
T
I thought the water pwered one I looked at still required a battery (even if it's small one) to get it started in the first place. Since you still have to monitor the bettery, what's the difference if you use regular battery backup system that is easier to obtain and gets parts for and your regular plumber will know what he's looking at if you have to call him in?

I considerd a water powered pump but went with battery backup...it can pump 1750 GPH at 10'. Still cost about $300, thoguh by the time you get the pump, the battery, the acid and the parts.

Old 10-12-09, 06:35 PM
P
I am comparing two water powered pumps, Guardian and Basepump. Does anybody has experience with basepump HB1000? Rating on basepump is good, but i am worry about the build quality, it seems made of plastic. any feedback is appreciated.

Basepump|The backup sump pump that uses water to pump water

Old 09-04-10, 07:08 PM
W
I purchased the Home Guard water propelled pump from Lowes and was wondering if someone could answer some questions for me before I install it.

The unit has an "automatic water valve with brass vacuum breaker", does this prevent backflow and contamination of your home's plumbing? Or should I purchase another backflow preventer to put in the supply line?

It also has a check valve on the discharge pipe.

Many Thanks!

Old 09-17-11, 01:35 PM
J
Hi
I am seriously considering the McDonald Guardian # 747H20 Water powered sump pump. I can get it delivered free at a cost of $ 425.00 brand new of course. My question is now that you have yours for a while do you think it is still very good and are you happy with it . How about the preventive maintenance they would like owners to perform a couple times a year. Do you do it ?
Thanks
Joe

Old 09-18-11, 06:02 AM
S
we have changed FROM offering battery-powered backup pump systems TO water-powered - Zoeller ONLY,,, obviously this isn't a good option for those h/o's who have wells w/elec powered pumps

Old 09-18-11, 07:49 AM
J
Water Powered Sump Pumps

Before I jump into buying a water powered sump pump, would any member care to reply back with your experience with them so far. I'm seriously considering the McDonald model 747H20 If you own one I would like to know the foot print it has plus any other details. My sump basin is 15" in diameter. My primary pump has a foot print of approx. 10". Would I be able to install the McDonald pump or should I go through the expense of enlarging the existing sump hole. I can't do any of the work anymore as I am now handicapped and old !

Old 10-02-11, 07:34 AM
B
Exclamation Just got my water bill

I had a water-driven sump pump professionally installed in August (2011). I had to use it for approximately 15 days/nights (more of less). I got my water bill yesterday.
It went from $35.00 to $375! I did not lose electricity, just was using it as a backup pump. Hopefully we won't have another year like this (south-central PA, record water/flooding, double normal yearly rain totals). I will use it as a last resort in the future. I knew my water bill would be high but was shocked, to say the least. And we had so much rain even this pump would not have saved me if it was the only one I was using. Might have to invest in a gas-driving pump now that I know the limits/costs to run the water-driven pump.

Old 10-02-11, 09:54 AM
J
Water Powered Sump Pumps

birdwatcher,

That is some water bill @ $375.00. I live in Verona N.J. which is in northern New Jersey. Our water costs are $ 4.05 per thousand gallons. So if I take your situation and divide it by our costs I would have used 92,593 gallons of city water. My pump moves water from the sump pit at 2 gallons for every 1 gallon of city water. Could you have possibly have moved 185,186 gallons ?.

Old 10-02-11, 12:53 PM
D
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
I don't understand why the water powered pump was running if you still had electricity. Is this the only pump you have?

Old 10-03-11, 03:53 AM
S
my guess would be the sump's incoming water overpowered his elec sump pump

Old 10-04-11, 12:46 PM
J
Bought a McDonald water powered sump pump after much investigation model 747H20. I looked into many others. The Mfg. suggested list price on mine is $ 599. I got it through the internet for $ 419. delivered. I then contacted 4 different plumbers to install it as I can't do that kind of work any longer ( Health & Age ). I got quotes for the area I live ( Northern N.J. ) that ranged from a low of $ 625. to $ 800, $985 and finally $ 1200. for my particular installation. As you can see this isn't an inexpensive project. I went with the $ 625 plumber who turn out to be just fine. The last storm flooded my basement and it cost well over a thousand dollars to clean up. My expectation is this....The job is done and if I loose electric I won't have to worry about flooded basements again.

Old 12-30-11, 09:39 AM
S
Plumbers for Water Powered Sump Pumps

For the NJ Resident : I live in your area - got a quote of almost
$2,000 from the plumbing company I usually use to put in a water powered sump pump back-up (i have determined battery back ups are useless and debating just getting a generator and running it - at least I can take it to my next house).
Anyway, you got a good quote at $625 for installation

Last edited by Shadeladie; 12-30-11 at 12:25 PM. Reason: Email not allowed.
Old 12-30-11, 12:00 PM
J
Sometimes in life you make the correct decisions. Well...the Water Powered Sump Pump back up system is turning out to be one of mine. It works perfectly and has saved us from 2 basement floods since its installation. We lost electric for 3 days during last Octobers storm and then again we lost juice for 10 hours a few weeks ago. Unfortunately loosing electric seems to happen more often lately with the crazy weather patterns we have experienced. I use a breathing machine at night in order to sleep. Without electric I'm up all night so I have installed a Generac natural gas stand by generator also which will finally solve the power problem as well as another back up to the primary electric sump pump. At 74 years of age and semi-handicapped I can now rest assured I done everything I can to be comfortable in serious weather conditions. Cost for the Generator plus installation and permits $ 5250.00 Cost of the Water Powered Sump Pump and installation $ 1125.00.

Last edited by Shadeladie; 12-30-11 at 12:26 PM. Reason: Email not allowed

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: