Changing basement stairs

Old 01-03-05, 07:50 PM
golferfabes
Visiting Guest
Changing basement stairs

My husband and I are in the planning stage of finishing our basement. I would like to change our existing staircase which is located in the center and goes straight down to adding a landing and having the staircase turn to the right (it would open up so much space for a rec room). Is this possible for us to do or would we need to contract out?

Old 01-03-05, 09:14 PM
darren_1974
Visiting Guest
This is actually an easy job, if you have the proper headroom, and floor space. I'd recomend getting a good carpenter to look at it though, as the 'head scratching' might be too much for the average joe

Basically, the carpenter will cut the existing stringers, as long as they are servicable, and then slide in the landing. You might be able to use the cut off section of the stairs to run from the landing to the floor. Should really take only a few hours i'd guess

Old 01-04-05, 12:28 PM
golferfabes
Visiting Guest
Followup

Thanks for the info. We are also considering installing a wooden spiral staircase. Which would be more costly? Changing the existing staircase or installing a spiral staircase? Also, would we be able to install the spiral ourselves? Thanks.

Old 01-04-05, 02:09 PM
darren_1974
Visiting Guest
a spiral staircase would be much more expensive. Personally, i would not want a spiral for basement stairs.

Old 01-05-05, 06:46 AM
Shadowman
Visiting Guest
And something to consider, if you put in a spiral staircase can you still get a couch or other large items into your new rec room?

Old 01-05-05, 04:55 PM
golferfabes
Visiting Guest
Red face

Good point about the furniture (we would be able to get it in via the bulkheads) but we have changed our minds on the spiral staircase....too costly. Still not sure about changing the stairs....had my father-in-law who has a great deal of experience with carpentry look at existing staircase and he felt that where we wanted to change them and add a three foot landing wouldn't allow for enough headroom. So it looks like we will stick with our plans that have the regular staircase and just split the rooms in two. Thanks for all your advice.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: