Finishing My Basement

Old 01-04-05, 10:49 AM
rlepore
Visiting Guest
Finishing My Basement

I apologize in advance for all the questions but getting nervous about a few things.

1. using metal studs right now & being told that they are not as strong a wood studs. I'm being told that the bathroom should be in wood & if going to hang cabinets & heavy pictures or mirrors I should be using wood? Is this true? If it is, can I fix the problem by putting a wood insert inside the metal stud and screw the metal into the wood for support??

2. heating? I have baseboard through out my house. What is the most cost effective & efficient way to heat my basement? I'm opened to installing a forced hot air unit if this is the way to go...looking for the best way to go

3. Humidity? my basement gets humid & stinky in the summer. Now that the walls are open is there a product that I can install?? or will a stand alone unit work fine & if I put this unit in my storage room will it still be effective??

Sorry again but your help is greatly appreciated

Sponsored Links
Old 01-04-05, 11:35 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
rlepore,

First off, welcome to Do-It-Yourself.com and please don't be sorry for anything you ask here. We all are here to help and share information.

The qustions you ask should have been already addressed when the building permit was obtained???

So lets start off with what you have asked

1. using metal studs right now & being told that they are not as strong a wood studs. I'm being told that the bathroom should be in wood & if going to hang cabinets & heavy pictures or mirrors I should be using wood?

I prefer to use wood. Wood is cheaper, correction was, and easier to install. Steel requires more time to install and this is a fact. Wood is easier to modify or change at a later date as well as a very easy way to attach shelving, cabinets, etc. without having to worry about questionable fastening.

Steel is strong, doesn't warp, rot or burn but in a fire, who cares. When covered with drywall, this is a great wall. Sound is also reduced with using the steel studs as wood does allow sound to travel throgh walls. You have probably heard of sound channel. In a wood frame home to reduce sound transmitance, these channels are placed horizontially over the studs and the drywall is attached to it. These work great whereever you need to soften the noise. Steel studs act in a silimar fashion. Inserting a 2x where you need to and at doorways is acceptable (easier to attach trim). I would hope that you have used a W/T plate for all your walls as it is easier attaching base trim.

2. heating? I have baseboard through out my house. What is the most cost effective & efficient way to heat my basement? I'm opened to installing a forced hot air unit if this is the way to go...looking for the best way to go

Don't know where you live and what you provided doesn't tell me much to really provide a good answer. Baseboard heat is fine and depending on what you have to heat the home, is it adequate for the entire home. Do you have A/C at all? Window or central?

3. Humidity? my basement gets humid & stinky in the summer. Now that the walls are open is there a product that I can install?? or will a stand alone unit work fine & if I put this unit in my storage room will it still be effective??

Again not knowing where you live is an issue. Dehumidifiers work well if we are not talking about any moisture issues on the existing walls or floor. They do require placement in the largest room or at least a method to provide some air movement. An A/C would assist in this issue, but again, if you don't have A/C then we may be looking at additional costs for ducting and then what about the main floor? Time to consider helping that area as well, at least a thought.

Hope this helps!

Old 01-04-05, 12:41 PM
rlepore
Visiting Guest
Thank you very much for your response. I have baseboard heat through out my entire house & I'm asking if I should just go ahead & add baseboard to my basement?? I have gas heat. I also have central air throughout my house but don't plan to add it to my basement. As for the humidity, I was told of some type of dehumidifier that you can add that fits behind the walls which creates air movement to eliminate the humidity. Any thoughts??

Old 01-04-05, 12:45 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
rlepore,

You're very welcome!

As far as extending your baseboard heat, by all means.

"As for the humidity, I was told of some type of dehumidifier that you can add that fits behind the walls which creates air movement to eliminate the humidity."

I am unaware of what is available but I would suggest making a post in the Plumbing, Heating and Air Forum for their professional thoughts.

Hope this helps!