Framing Basement Walls

Old 01-10-05, 10:02 AM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Framing Basement Walls

Iím in the process of finishing off part on my basement. The room is quite small (12' x 22í). I want to save as much space as possible. At this point Iíve written off 2 x 4 studded walls, because I loose approximately 10 inches of the length and width. This assumes I stud the wall 1 inch off the cinder blocks and use Ĺ inch drywall. If I go to 2 x 3 studded walls, Iíll save 2 inches.

Here are my questions:

1. What about firring strips, or perhaps 2 x 3, used flat against the block walls (pros/cons)?
2. The basement is essentially underground (top foot is above ground) and I live in Southeastern Pennsylvania. 1.5 inches of Styrofoam will give me an R-value of approximately 7.5, is this enough?
3. What type of Styrofoam is recommended?
4. How should it be attached the block, construction adhesive I presume?
5. How should the 2 x 3 be fastened to the block?
6. Should a poly vapor barrier be applied over the Styrofoam and 2 x 3ís on the side facing the new room (not the block wall side)?

Iím in a quandary, please helpÖ

Old 01-10-05, 03:18 PM
darren_1974
Visiting Guest
You could do it the way you are proposing. There are some drawbacks though.The foam at R7.5 is not enough in my opinion. The 2x3's tight to the wall will create a thermal bridge between the cold foundation and the drywall. Moist air will condense on these, collecting dust, and you might/will have vertical dust stripes on 16 or 24" centers. The electrical is harder to run. Will you put in wall outlets as required by code? where? Are your foundation walls straight? If they aren't it will show up in the drywall. Also remember that anywhere wood touches concrete, the wood must be pressure treated or naturally rot resistant. Yes, you still need a VB.

Old 01-19-05, 06:36 PM
M
Darren,

Thanks for the replyÖ

Hereís another idea which was given to me. The concept is to actually glue the Styrofoam onto the block wall with special glue that wonít chemically react with the Styrofoam. The glue should be applied in ďacornĒ globs and spacers to leave a small air gap between the Styrofoam and block wall. Once the Styrofoam is up, glue the drywall directly to the Styrofoam. Any thoughts on this???

Thanks,

Matt

Old 01-19-05, 06:41 PM
darren_1974
Visiting Guest
I have seen this done, and it does work. No strapping needed. You don't need the air space. You also cannot run electrical. Be sure to keep your drywall off the floor by 3/4". Baseboards will also need to be glued.

Old 01-20-05, 05:59 PM
M
Assuming I go with 2" foam, couldn't I channel out the styrofoam to lay the electrical?

Old 01-21-05, 04:10 AM
H
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Code Violation for Pennsylvania

Code for Pennsylvania requires a minimum of R-20 for all basement walls.

It is also illegal to channel out foam insulation board to run wiring.

The best method remains framing the walls with standard 2x4 construction and wiring and insulating accordingly.

Consult your local code enforcement office for details.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: