Basement moisture problems...will this work?

Old 01-13-05, 05:28 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Basement moisture problems...will this work?

I hope you stay to read the whole thing….
Sorry for the long post in advance.

I purchased my house 2 years ago, at the time the house was in foreclosure and had not been lived in for the past 2 years. The house was built in 1975. It is a split level house with a full basement. Until now our family has just been using the upstairs as we were saving money to re-do the basement. The basement is currently finished, but we want to move things around to add an office.

During the first year we had a lot of rain, and the basement would get about ¼” covering of water on it where the foundation was the deepest. The house is built in the side of a hill, so over 50ft it goes from ground level to about 11ft deep.
I began addressing the problem from the outside, I dug a small channel about 10 feet off the outside wall and graded away from the house. I worked for weeks and finally cleared the French drain that runs around the foundation.

I am now in the demolition process of the old rooms in the basement, and plan to apply a sealant to the walls and concrete floor before I start construction, but I have been considering doing something that I don’t have much knowledge of, and was hoping to get some advice.
After I seal and have the walls roughed in I was thinking of laying a heavy mill plastic sheet on the floor, then laying down some pressure treated 1X2’s then on top of that a plywood floor.
I have plenty of ceiling height, and I could then vent the floor to the garage. Is what I am thinking of doing a good or bad idea?

Sponsored Links
Old 01-14-05, 07:59 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Wow…37 reads and not one reply……sigh….
Anyhow…based on what I have read on this forum, and just about every link posted here, my plans have changed…..my question now is….does anyone see anything wrong with this plan.

Strip and seal walls and floor.
Frame walls with 2x4 studs set 1” off the cinder block walls using pressure treated floor plates.
Insulate walls making sure the insulation doesn’t come in contact with the cinder block
Apply plastic sheet to inside of walls.
Lay plastic sheet or tar paper on floor.
Build sub floor using 1x2, and screw ½ or ¾” plywood.

Sound about right??

Old 01-14-05, 08:21 AM
MO Darren
Visiting Guest
Floor

Hey what about metal 2x4 studs on the floor? wont rot or mildew and if you can vent to the garage....
just a thought

I got the same...30 something views no reply...oh well maybe i was on the right track in the first place