Here is the plan...any problems?

Old 01-13-05, 09:35 AM
MO Darren
Visiting Guest
Cool Here is the plan...any problems?

Im finishing part of the basement for wifes workout area. I am just going for now to do 2 exterior walls with paneling and throw down some carpet,,,not to fancy, have bookcases etc as wall dividers..
The walls are poured concrete approx 70 yrs old, in good shape, minor seepage heavy heavy rains but im gonna fix that 7'-6 ave height. 2 walls 24' each direction of a corner.

Here is the plan
Paint drylock on these walls.
Attach 1x2 furring strips with liq nail and a few tapcons(4 per strip) 16" oc horizontal with 16"oc vertical spacers between.
Use precut styro board from Home Depot 3/4"x16"x48"..cheap cost @ 6.00/package of 6 attached with styro adhesive between strips.
Attach 1/8" paneling with adhesive and nails to strips...
No electrical or anything needed in walls...
Question is, will this be enough backing for 1/8"panels...the mfg recomends total backing like sheetrock or a solid surface.
I figure this is a cheap fix for around $400.00 total project.....
Will it warp out, come loose or anything strange happen.....any ideas..
Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 01-18-05, 06:56 PM
Scotaku
Visiting Guest
Dunno what the material is made of, but the requirement for a backer may be for moisture. If you've already got a problem with water coming through the walls, use the Drylock well in advance and make sure you've mitigated the problem before covering it up with finish work.

Old 01-19-05, 01:08 PM
MO Darren
Visiting Guest
Thanks

Ive used SunnyDry in leiu of Drylok it seems to have done a great job, Really thick. The moisture only happened during very heavy rains (like 3-4 days worth) and found part of the problem as drainage and gutters. I think its all fixed now.
I think the paneling issue was due to thickness of support. I think since no really bad responses i will continue and do 1 wall like this 24'.
The remainder or other wall in question will be 2x4 studs now with drywall and panels over as she decided she needed a closet. Before ya know it the little workout room will be a total finish. I best start the design for the bathroom down there next. Hmmm I thinkin now heck with the workout room, I want that pool table!

Old 01-19-05, 03:57 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
My parents did a project similar to this but I think the paneling was 1/4" and it is fine. In my basement there is 1/8" panelling over 2x4 studs with fiberglas insul and the paneling is warped (plan on sheetrocking it anyways.) So if you can I'd try to go with a thick panelling.

Old 01-19-05, 04:19 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Wink

Id check first for code there .You dont want to put furring strips on the basement walls P/T are other wise. Use a 2X4 stud wall 1" out with a R13 insulation in them.Paper to the room .Yes Id put a 1/2" drywall up dont tape it and then glue the 1/8" panel to it.

ED