Radon - Paint or Sealer products

Old 01-15-05, 06:14 PM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Radon - Paint or Sealer products

Wondering if anyone has heard about the new sealers to help prevent Radon from entering the basement. Specifically on the internet I have seen RadonLoc manufactured by Endur-O-Seal USA & RadonSeal brands. Per their litature, they penetrate the concrete, react to the chemical compounds in the concrete, making it harder & denser. They also boast about water sealing properties.

I have a new house, poured concrete walls in Sept 2003, and I am located in the Kansas City area. In my area Radon is present in nearly all of the houses and my realator said that about 50 - 60% of the existing houses sold require some levle of mitigation (usually interior air movement / venting). My old house, about a mile away, was within the Federal estabalished levels, thus I did not have to do any mitigation system in it. Prior to finishing this basement I plan on using some type of concrete sealer on the floor & walls. I expect to start work on my basement in a couple of months. I expect to be in this house for 20 or more years, thus I want to do this prior to consturction work. This will be my second complete basement finish, thus have most of the other areas down.

This forum is great & helped me on several prior projects including the last basement. Thanks in advance for your help & input.

Old 01-15-05, 06:38 PM
H
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Radon

You need to have your home tested by a state authorized or Federally authorized radon tester.

Avoid "home inspectors" who claim to have Radon certification which usually means they wouldn't know a Radon problem from too much MSG in Chinese food.

Most "home inspectors" just place their testing devices in basements where concentrations of Radon are known to most occur.

The "problem" is that State and Federal radon standards require samples to be taken from the entire home on all floors and when done....usually show NO RADON PROBLEMS AT ALL!

Get properly tested by a verifiable State or Federal agency.

Last edited by majakdragon; 01-15-05 at 06:51 PM. Reason: Inappropriate comment

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: