How long can insulation be uncovered?

Old 01-16-05, 08:21 AM
chopper33
Visiting Guest
Post How long can insulation be uncovered?

Hello,
Home is 4 years old in Michigan and I am finishing the basement. The foundation walls are drylocked. I am ready to install R13 insulation with Kraft facing. How long can the installed insulation sit without having sheetrock or other covering applied to the walls? I am in the situation where I am finishing my basement as I get spare time and money. Will there be condensation/mold problems if I do not cover the insulation with sheet or other materials in a timely fashion? I am hoping to hear that you can leave the insulation uncovered (by sheet rock or other material) for long periods of time...

Thanks!

Old 01-17-05, 05:35 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,153 Upvotes on 1,928 Posts
If you don't have any moisture problems fiberglass insulation can stay uncovered forever. Leaving it uncovered may even help a bit by letting any trapped moisture escape more easily.

Old 01-17-05, 08:46 PM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
The limiting factor on leaving insulation uncovered has to do with the fire code. In living spaces, and perhaps others, it must be covered with sheetrock or its equivalent to protect the faced, fiberglass insulation from fire. Check the manufacturer's instructions and your local building code on this matter.

Hope this helps.

Old 01-18-05, 02:52 PM
chopper33
Visiting Guest
Thanks

Thanks for the replys, that takes care of my question.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: