Can someone give me an opinion on this?

Old 01-17-05, 04:45 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Cool Can someone give me an opinion on this?

Ok Im still gutting my basement.
As I tear stuff out I find things that are alarming, and some things that make me just shake my head.
One wall the drywall was simply nailed to the block….
The wiring is a nightmare; I am going to re do all that also.
In everything I have read on this forum, I am still confused about one thing.
The sub-floor.
My basement will be ¾ finished, and the rest of the space will be a garage.
When I start reconstruction I am going to install a sub floor, in the areas that are finished, and the basement will have its own forced air system. The different methods described here seem to at times contradict themselves.
Case in point.
If I build all my walls first, and then build the sub-floor, with that not trap any moisture under the floor and lead to mold?
Even with tar paper or plastic film, it seems like if moisture got in, it couldn’t get out.
Is it advisable to build the sub floor first, and then attach the walls to the sub floor, thereby allowing the floor to vent into the garage?
I am really struggling with this issue, and if anyone could please just post an opinion I will be very thankful.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-17-05, 05:19 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 590 Votes on 544 Posts
I'm sure you will get many differing opinions...

Do you have any indications of moisture on the floor or walls? Get a square of plastic and tape all the edges to the floor with duct tape. Pull it up in a day or two and see if any moisture has appeared.

I like your idea of doing the floor deck first (with walls on top) and possibly give it some ventilation to the garage area. Make sure your floor "joists" run in a direction that will let them ventilate to the garage.

You are correct, moisture will eventually get in. I try to minimize it as much as possible and stop it as far away as possible. I tend to beleive that almost always the masonry will be wetter than the interior heated space so I put the vapor barrier next to the masonry and any moisture that does get through can vaporize and escape into the heated room. In your basement I would put down a thick layer of plastic on the concrete and have your deck above, and use pressure treated lumber.

Old 01-17-05, 05:52 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Cool

Thanks for the reply.
I have done the moisture test, and I get some condensation on both sides, depending on where in the basement I Tape the plasic down.
This is why I am looking to build a "room in a room" type deal.
I have accepted I have moisture, and I will take steps to eliminate it from the inside as best I can, but the real solution I fear is in sealing the outside of the basement.
The best quote I have on digging down to the foundation and re-sealing the basement is more than $10,000, and thats if he dosnt run into bedrock...which he may, being I am built into the side of a mountain.