Rough Opening for Bi-Fold Doors

Old 01-17-05, 09:18 AM
K
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Rough Opening for Bi-Fold Doors

I am framing up the two openings in my basement that are left for two 60" x 80" bi-fold doors later. I am wondering how much rough opening I should leave when I put up the studs.

Also, does it make a difference if I carpet or tile the floor afterwards? Maybe I should leave a higher opening for tiled floor?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-17-05, 05:23 PM
vandyman
Visiting Guest
rough-in for bi folds

Hopefully, I can help you out. I put in two sets of the same size bifolds in my basement, with different results. I listened to a seasoned do it yourselfer on the first, and ended up with way too large of an opening. On the second, I tightened things up and it came out much better.

My rough opening is 60" wide exactly, which gives me enough room to open doors, but not too much that the gaps are unsightly. Keep in mind, your actual doors are not 60" wide, so the 60" rough opening works great. I have a 1/2" gap on each side, perfect if you ask me.

The height is a little off because I thought my carpet and pad would be thicker, but as it turns out, I have a 2"+ gap at the floor. This is with an 80" high rough in. It sounds like you're not sure what type of floor you're putting in, so adjust accordingly. I would say 78-79" rough-in for carpet and 77"-78" for tile. Obviously, be sure to error on too much gap to be safe.

Hope this helps. Shoot me a note if you have further questions.

mike

Old 01-18-05, 07:57 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
First, go to the home center, pick out your doors and MEASURE. Some doors vary from the nominal dimensions. Then you need to know how you will wrap the jambs--drywall requires 1/2" each side, wood jambs 3/4".

If you'll use wood jambs, a safe rule of thumb is 2 1/2" wider and 2" higher than the door size.