Ideas for covering Breaker Boxes

Old 01-17-05, 09:41 AM
woodsdog
Visiting Guest
Ideas for covering Breaker Boxes

I have been working on my basement, and I am closing in on wrapping it up! I have run into something: my breaker boxes. I have two breaker boxes, and I would like to cover them up with something rather than the ugly metal covers they come with.

What are some ideas I can use to cover them so they aren't quite such an eye sore?

The sizes are 14 1/2" X 30# and 14 1/2" X 18 1/2.

Thanks for any suggestions!

Woody

Sponsored Links
Old 01-17-05, 10:00 AM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Camouflage by hanging pictures over the breaker boxes or kitchen cabinet doors. A bookcase or cabinet on wheels can be rolled away when you need to access.

Old 01-17-05, 03:15 PM
B
I'm far from being an expert, but I'd guess that there are some code issues with covering a box. Something easily moveable is probably OK, but I'm just guessing.

Old 01-17-05, 03:59 PM
T
bob md, there are code issues. Decorative touches, I think, must be done after the electrical inspection. Perhaps someone with code experience can further clarify.

I have sold kitchen cabinet doors to folks who want to cover breaker boxes. Because these tend to be quite expensive, I have often thought why they did not think of hanging a picture or mirror over doors or placed a moveable piece of tall furniture in front for easy access.

Old 01-18-05, 08:09 AM
I built my wall so the cover sits flush on the drywall and painted it to match the wall. It really does look fine. The wall is also sponge painted which makes it really disappear. Right next to it I built an access door (using a cheap cabinet door from a big box store) for my telephone and cable central hookup. I painted that to match the wall too. Hanging a picture was out of the question for me because mine (like most I've seen) was in a corner.

Old 01-18-05, 08:34 AM
B
Good idea! I've been thinking of what to do w/ my panel (in a corner), this sounds great.
Bob