Basement 101

Old 01-18-05, 08:45 AM
jas_usn
Visiting Guest
Basement 101

Hi All,

New home owner here and first attempt at finishing a basement. We are not in a hurry to complete this project (well, I am but only because I'm excited about taking it on) but would like to get started as soon as we could. I have spoken to a few folks and read a lot on how to go about this but I still have a few questions that start before I start the process.

1. )Permits - What permits do I need? I plan on doing all walls and floor myself but having someone else do the electric. Not to get anyone upset but rather to satisfy my curiousity, what would/could happen if I did this without obtaining permits. I know the home inspector could have a field day with me when/if I sold the home but I haven't found any that measure heights, check distances between outlets, etc. Again, I'm just curious. D the permits apply to any work being done?

2.) Is there a standard rule for completing the job, i.e Framing, then electric, drywall so on...?

3.) Any sites that have this basic type of info? I don't want to overstay my welcome here with all these basic questions, I'd like to be able to come back here during the project for specific assistance.

Thanks in advance for the help.

~Joe

Sponsored Links
Old 01-18-05, 01:00 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Nobody here can answer what permit requirements there might be. It varies widely from one jurisdiction to another.

I live in a small town, the county won't inspect because I'm within the city limits and the city doesn't have the resources to-ergo no permit or inspections required. That's the exception.

Call your city, town or county to find out what's required. If you are required to have inspections, the order of those inspections will give a good idea of the sequence.

Normally:

framing
rough plumbing
rough electric
insulation
drywall
prime/paint
finish electric
finish plumbing
doors
flooring
trim (or reverse those two depending on flooring type)

look at the "stickies" at the top of this forum for lots of general info.