Framing Nailer to Fasten Metal Studs to Wood

Old 01-20-05, 08:51 AM
sloughman
Visiting Guest
Framing Nailer to Fasten Metal Studs to Wood

I would like finish my basement with metal studs, for the most part. However, I'll need to attach the studs to a treated lumber base plate on the floor and on the top to a plain 2x4 wood stud.

Can I use a framing nailer to do this? or is this just unsafe, unwise, etc.?

If so, what type of nail would be recommended?

Sponsored Links
Old 01-20-05, 09:10 AM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
There are top/bottom plates for the metal studs and it will be much easier to frame the wall entirely out of metal and set ontop of your pressure treated bottom plates, and then screw it down to the plates. The top plate can be screwed into the joists or to blocking where the wall is parralell to the joists. I am not as familiar with the new acq stuff as to whether a foam gasket would be needed between the metal bottom plate and the pt plate. I do know that steel is more reactive to the acq than it was to the cca and a whole variety of zinc coated fasteners and ties has come on the market. One problem I have found with the metal studs that I mentionfor your consideration is that it is more difficult to screw the but ends of two pieces of rock to the metal studs. They seem to be a bit narrower and like to bend inward as you screw into them. I have found it easier to use course threaded drywall screws instead of self tappers as the fine threaded screws like to tear out enough of the stud to make them essentially float in the hole with little grab, but a low torque setting on the clutch of a corless drill, like in the 12-15 range worked well for me in getting the screw head set properly and geting the screw to remain tight. BUt what do I know, I do tile, and my metal stud exeperience is limited so as for fasteners, wait for one of the folks who willknow for sure. But do consider the top/bottom plates of steel as it will hold the whol thing together better.