Hydrostatic pressure

Old 01-20-05, 10:48 AM
DGT
Visiting Guest
Question Hydrostatic pressure

Water comes into my basement through the window wells. I suspect the problem is a false water table that is rising along the outside (and probably inside) the cinder block wall. My property is properly graded, all roof water is carried away from the house, and I have two functional sump-pump pits.

I saw a baseboard water management system on the internet called the "squdgee" system whereby you drill holes through each cinder block where the wall meets the floor. This allows any water in the cinder blocks to empty through the holes into a special baseboard where it is carried to the sump pump.

Has anyone heard of this system? Do you think it will/may solve my problem? Do you have any other suggestions? I have spent a lot of time and money trying to fix this overall water problem. While significant progress has been made, I still have water coming in? HEEEELLLLLPPPPPPPPPP!!!

Sponsored Links
Old 01-21-05, 04:12 AM
H
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Window Wells

If you are getting water in thru your window wells, you need to deal with the window wells. The Squidgee system you propose will only be more good money after bad.

Best approach is to have a professional examine your home and offer a total package mitigation package.

Old 01-21-05, 06:40 AM
D
Window well drainage

I recently had a sump pump system installed that involved this drilling of holes in the floor level blocks to drain water. It has worked great and I no longer get water in my basement. However I agree with the previous reply that you should address the window well problem. I also had this problem and what they did was dig the wells out and tap them into the sump pump system. Then they fillled the wells with gravel to help with drainage. If you already have a sump pump system this might work for you as well.

Old 01-21-05, 09:17 AM
DGT
Visiting Guest
Thanks for the advice! What type of professional have you had success with?

The water that is coming in from the window well is bubbling up from the ground below the window well until it reaches the bottom of the window and comes through the porous window sill. I don't want to replace the window until the water problem is solved. Would it make sense to drill a few holes on the outside of the cinder block below the window to allow the water that reaches that high to run down inside the blocks to where I have holes on the inside of the cinder block wall at the floor of the basement? The water would then be carried to the sump pump. Am I way off base? Maybe I should just call a professional and get their opinion like you suggested.

Old 01-22-05, 07:21 AM
D
that is exactly the problem I had - ground water rising until it poured through the window. After watching the guys work on theproblem I would highly recommend having aprofessional take a look and perform the work. If you start drilling holes and do it incorrectly I think you are just asking for more serious water problems.

I had the entire system installed by a basement waterproofing company. I am srer there are some in your area.

Old 01-22-05, 05:50 PM
DGT
Visiting Guest
Thanks. I will appreciate the advice -- especially knowing how handy I am (not very).