basement sewer odor

Old 01-21-05, 07:41 AM
nj07030
Visiting Guest
Unhappy basement sewer odor

I read on this forum that pouring water down the drain (something to do with a P-trap) can eliminate sewer odors. I'm in a basement rental and it stinks of sewer odor every now and then (it's not constant). There is a drain opening right outside the flat's front door, but I cannot find any openings inside the flat. THe property management company told me to pour water down the drain, and I have done so, but is that enough? If it is recurrent is the landlord required by law to find out if there is a cracked pipe and correct it?

Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-21-05, 07:54 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
nj07030, Welcome to the DIY Forums.
Drains that are not used all the time have a tendency to dry up. The trap in the drain is a water seal that keeps sewer gases from coming into the residence. Traps should always have water in them whether they are floor drains, sinks or tubs. Your management company would want to find out if there is a possible leak. Good luck.

Old 01-23-05, 07:58 AM
nj07030
Visiting Guest
Thanks for the reply, Majakdragon. The management company keeps telling me to pour water down the drain, and I can't find any where the smell actually is! Are they required by law to fix such a problem? If possible I'd like to break my lease over this, but am not sure if I am allowed to.

Thanks!

Old 01-23-05, 09:26 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I am not an attorney. I know sewer gas contains Methane and other gases that are not safe to breathe. It constitutes an unsafe living condition. Good luck.