Conversion question

Old 01-26-05, 08:35 AM
chemicalking
Visiting Guest
Conversion question

I want to convert my attic. I intend to to it myself just when I get the time and would be greatful for your input.

I get the general idea but wondered about the roof itself. In my attic it hasn't got a 'W' shaped beam or anything it just has a long piece of wood stretching from the front of the house to the back, and there are 2 of these.

My thinking was that I would first need to instal vertical supports along the lower part of the roof on each side and horizontal pieces higher up which would give me the unobstructed space I need.

Any feedback would be great

Sponsored Links
Old 01-26-05, 09:11 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Wink

I would check with code there first Then some one to come in and check the ceilings rafters that you have now for what load they can carry. How the walls are below on the first floor for the new load. Have some one check it out for you for sure.

ED

Old 01-26-05, 09:41 AM
Super Moderator
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
chemicalking,

I agree with Ed that you will have to consult with an architect before you proceed.
A building permit will likely be required and the local inspection dept will need these drawings anyway.

Someone here could likely offer some advice though but you need to describe your situation in greater detail.
The fact that we don't know your location would make a world of difference in how you will proceed.

It is not yet required but putting your state, province or off-shore location in your user info would make it much easier to offer advice.

Old 01-27-05, 05:49 AM
chemicalking
Visiting Guest
Sorry for lack of information. I live in the UK.
I know that a lot of the propertys in my area have attic conversions and since all the houses are identical in every way then I should be able to convert, I just need to know how to proceed, things like :

Insulation
draught proof
access (stairs or ladder)

Old 01-27-05, 09:17 AM
chemicalking
Visiting Guest
can I have some more help on this please

Old 01-27-05, 09:54 AM
Super Moderator
I think that although there are people around here that are familiar with what you want to do, what is needed before all else is to know what your building regulations require.
The building regulations dictate the way you will proceed.
Modifying roof rafters are especially difficult to offer advice on because of the stress that is engineered into them.

Although the intent of this site is to encourage and promote "doing it yourself", there is a limit on what people should do.
In your case someone with knowlege in this area may be reluctant to share it because they could be advising you to do something that could get you in trouble.

Talk to your building inspection department and maybe some contractors to see what is involved in this project and let us know how you make out.

Old 01-27-05, 10:06 AM
chemicalking
Visiting Guest
As far as I am aware, the only thing I need to do is declare the change of use of the space. But if I want the space to be used for storage only then I dont need to declare anything.

But my intention is to use the space as a spare bedroom therefore will be fitting stairs which will come into the main bedroom which is itself a large room so I will partition that off at a later date.

As far as electricals are concerned all I need to do there is get permission from my electric suppler and ge the work inspected by them.

I really only want to know if it is safe to replace the 2 beams that are currently in my attic and replace them with a more suitable one. I would show you a picture but dont think i can attatch files with this site

Old 01-27-05, 10:41 AM
Super Moderator
chemicalking,

You are not really hearing what I'm saying and you may be mistaken about your ability to change the structure of the house without a permit.
What you are talking about in notifying someone about the use has to do with zoning.
I am talking about constructon codes.

Like I said, modifying a beam or rafter here and likely where you are requires a permit, which also needs an architect or engineer's drawing.

I'm sorry but I doubt anyone here will offer the advice you are looking for.

Old 01-28-05, 06:59 AM
chemicalking
Visiting Guest
You dont need a permit to take a dump her in the UK like you do in your country, its my house and up to me what I do with it. All I wanted was a simple answer to a simple question which is what I thought this site was for.

Old 01-28-05, 09:08 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
The problem we are all having is that we don't fully understand the structure. Generally, ceiling joists are not strong enough to properly support floor loads. This means that the joists might all need to be replaced or reinforced. In addition, we can't tell if the interior walls below are "load bearing" or just non-bearing partitions. If the beams you refer to are supporting the roof they are probably fine as they are, but if they support the ceiling then just like the joists, they are probably inadequate to support floor loads and would need to be resized.

If I understand correctly, the 2 long beams support the roof rafters but those beams are intruding into the head height that you want. Installing vertical walls as supports is a potential problem in that they need to be properly supported below to carry the loads down thru the structure to the foundation. If they are just sitting on top of floor/ceiling joists then you would be placing additional stress on structural members that were probably not designed for those loads.

Understanding that restrictions in the UK are perhaps less than in the USA, we still can't advise you without knowing a lot more about how your home was built.

Old 01-29-05, 02:13 AM
chemicalking
Visiting Guest
thanks Joe. That was a better explanation of what I needed to do. I got your PM. Il draw a few plans for you and email them to you some time today-thanks

Old 02-03-05, 12:11 PM
chemicalking
Visiting Guest
Ok. Ive had a guy out from my local authrity and he said it is fine to convert my attic and take out the beams that span the space as long as they are replaced accordingly.

The work for this will be carrie dout by a professional in a week or so and he will also install the stairs. But after that I intend to do the rest myself as I have a good knowledge of electrics and basic DIY.

Realy what I want to know is what should be the next stage? I was thinking of first removeing all the insulation in there and replacing it with something of higher grade, then though it may be a good idea to line the inside of the roof with plastic to help with insulation.

The attic already has a window fitted so this isnt realy an issue. Any help would be great

Old 02-06-05, 03:01 AM
chemicalking
Visiting Guest
anybody help with this