pipes between joists in basement

Old 01-27-05, 09:20 PM
N
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
pipes between joists in basement

i bought my house a year ago. The previous owner had sheetrocked half the basement but he did not box any pipes, so they are beneath the sheetrocked ceiling. The pipe that run along the outer side I am planning on having a plumber move over so that i only have to box out maybe 6 inches instead of a foot. There is one pipe that runs parellel with the joists.Iservicing castiron baseboard in hallway above) if i cut out the sheetrock above and have the plumber put the pipe between the joists would I have to fabricate a 16 inch access across the basement or just a couple of access panels? If there was a leak and i sheetrocked it after moving pipe up of course i would have to re-spackle and paint cieling. Or would it be best to use sanded plywood and screw in with white screws in attempt to blend in??

boxing in pipes on side of basementthat run perpendicular is it best to sheetrock or frame out with pine and paint?? It will end up being maybe 3 inches down and four inches out to conceal pipe.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-28-05, 04:36 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Any time you box in liquid filled pipes you have to consider how much work you want to do if you have a leak. By being boxed in, you won't see the leak as quickly so it will do more damage. Using removable panels is best. Plywood will be easier to reinstall than drywall. Good luck.