Help - Basement Window Problem!

Old 04-03-05, 06:01 PM
wmsmit01
Visiting Guest
Help - Basement Window Problem!

I just bought a new home and am happy with everything ... except a basement window. The window is almost completely underground because the basement was "dug out" of a crawlspace. I have no intentions of finishing the basement, but would like to use it for storage, and do not want water coming in through this window (the glass is cracked and the frame is rusting away). A window well and bubble cover is not an option because of the strange way in which the basement is designed. My question -- can I eliminate the window by knocking it out and using blocks and concrete to make it part of the foundation? Is that the surest way to prevent water from getting in?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 04-03-05, 06:55 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
new home

I'm kind of scratching my head over a dug-out crawlspace in your new home.

Is it really new, or new-to-you? In any case, concrete blocks and mortar

should solve the problem just fine.

Old 04-03-05, 06:55 PM
Is this the only window in the basement? If so, I would not remove it for safety reasons. Why can't you build a window well around it?

Old 04-03-05, 08:35 PM
wmsmit01
Visiting Guest
I guess I meant to say "dug out cellar" ... and no, it's not brand new, just new to me. The home was built in 41 and I have no idea when the basement was dug out, but I'm guessing within the last few years. Concrete blocks and mortar ... thanks so much!

Originally Posted by michiganguy
I'm kind of scratching my head over a dug-out crawlspace in your new home.

Is it really new, or new-to-you? In any case, concrete blocks and mortar

should solve the problem just fine.

Old 04-03-05, 08:36 PM
wmsmit01
Visiting Guest
Originally Posted by widing
Is this the only window in the basement? If so, I would not remove it for safety reasons. Why can't you build a window well around it?
No, there is another window that is better condition, all the way on the other side of the basement, and under the carport on the outside, so water is not a concern there. Michicanguy recommends concrete blocks and mortar for removing the leaky window. Do you agree?

Old 04-04-05, 03:33 PM
I'm not an expert. I would just recommend that you check code. It is probably fine as long as you that other window is big enough to qualify as a egress window.
I would recommend that anything that you do store down there you keep up off the floor - just in case.

Good luck!

Old 04-05-05, 08:50 AM
Originally Posted by widing
I'm not an expert. I would just recommend that you check code. It is probably fine as long as you that other window is big enough to qualify as a egress window.
I would recommend that anything that you do store down there you keep up off the floor - just in case.

Good luck!
I may be worng, but if the basement isn't finsished and not used as a living space, you don't need an egress window...(double check your local codes)

Also, why not just replace the existing window with a glass block window? That way you get some natural light and your basement isn't a cave...