soffit vents

Old 04-27-05, 08:24 AM
oldhouseremodel
Visiting Guest
soffit vents

Does one have to have soffit vents if the attic that is being insulated off for living space has roof vents and 1"-1 1/2" of space between the insulation and the roof sheathing. The house is old and the space behind the knee walls will be open (not insulated) as well as the peak. I live in Portland, OR so it is a pretty mild climate. Will I have enough air flow?

Installing soffit vents seems like a pain.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-27-05, 08:39 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Wink

Id say yes you need them and you do want to put insulation in that knee wall to.

ED.

Old 04-27-05, 09:12 AM
oldhouseremodel
Visiting Guest
OK soffit vents I guess, but here is another question. If I just have enough space for insulation with an R-15 value for the ceiling is it even worth it? Is it much if any better than an uninsulated attic ceiling?

I guess I don't want to deal with the soffit vents.

I do have R19 is in the furred out knee-walls--it is the space behind that that is unsulated with someting old like maybe rockwool? or something that I think has a low R-value (maybe 4).

The house I bought has an attic that complies in everyway to the liviable space conversion except it is a little short on the height requirement. I dont have a 6'x10' area of 6'8"--but it is close. Anyway, I would have to put a dormer in for that (expensive and down the road). The person before me finished off the attic to the knee walls and put in new electric--but she left the ceiling unfinished. I can't really figure out why.

Anyway, it get's pretty hot unless you open the windows (which is possible).

I just want to finish off the area cheaply so I can have a little more living area. Should I just hang a ceiling (paneling or drywall with no insulation) if I can only put in R15 or will the insulation make a big difference?

Last edited by oldhouseremodel; 04-27-05 at 09:53 AM.
Old 04-27-05, 09:48 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

if I can only put in R15 or will the insulation make a big difference?
Any insulation up there will help .

ED