Basement Ceiling...drywall or drop?

Old 04-28-05, 03:17 PM
nkb0525
Visiting Guest
Basement Ceiling...drywall or drop?

We have radiant heat on the main floor of our house. We are in the process of finishing the basement into a playroom. We would prefer to drywall the ceiling (for aesthetic reasons) but are hesitant. Should we use a drop ceiling in case we need to access the pipes for the radiant heat floor above?

Sponsored Links
Old 04-29-05, 04:18 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I too...like you was afraid of sealing everything up.
I had planned out the drop ceiling, and after doing the initial cost estimates...I was like man...this is going to be expensive.

I re-evaluated my situation.
On the ceiling I have now, or will have, water pipes, gas line, electric, phone, cable, and HVAC.
But everything is pretty much solid runs, meaning all my cut-offs are accessible.

Based on the considerable cost savings using sheetrock over a drop in system, I have decided to use sheetrock, but I do plan on doing a few things to make things a little easier if I do ever need access to the space.

One thing is to drop the height of the ceiling inside closets, and place in a access hatch. They sell these plastic access panels at Lowes and Home Depot in my area; you can find them in the plumbing section, around where they sell washer hookup kits.

For the areas I can not reach from there...I am willing to risk it. I canít spend almost 3 times the money based on something the Might happen.