support post concrete pad

Old 05-01-05, 02:58 PM
gsiciliano
Visiting Guest

Not sure if this is the right forum

A structural engineer took a look at my basement and told me where to relocate my support posts to make larger rooms. He mentioned to build a concrete pad 3ft X 3ft for the post. However in digging the hole this new pad would hit the old pad. Should I underpin the pad?

Sponsored Links
Old 05-01-05, 05:46 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

How much would the new pad overlap the old one? I assume the new pad wil have a top elevation about the same as the old one.

It would be a lot easier to miss the existing pad that underpin or remove the old one. The idea is to get 9 square feet under the new post and be as symetrical as possible around the post. The pad really does not have to be a square. It could be a circle with the same area. You can adjust the shape to miss the old pad, but you may have to make it a little thicker if it is something like a long rectangle or something irregular.

Figure out what shape is the best for you and ask him if the new one would be any thicker.

Dick

Old 05-02-05, 05:17 AM
gsiciliano
Visiting Guest
The new post will be 2.5 ft away from existing post. Not knowing how big the existing pad is (Home is 15 years old), I am sure that the new will encroach. Right now I was asked to make the new pad 8 inches thick.